Questions

A few days later, I made my way back to Hange's lab in the basement of the headquarters building.

Erwin had given all of us a few days off as he and the other commanders strategized how to best apprehend the beast titan. They didn't want to send out any more teams until they had a solid plan on how to deal with the abnormal and its dangerous control over the rest of the titans.

I had spent most of the free days in my room. Mostly, I was exhausted and my ribs still ached, and I just wanted to be alone. But there was a small part of me that just didn't want to face anyone quite yet. Not after what had happened.

The day after Levi and I had arrived back, Hange had found a family to take Mory in. She couldn't stay in the barracks anymore, not since Johnson was gone, so they had found a caring family in the city, with a few other children her age, to care for her as their own. I would miss her cheerful smile around base, but I knew it was in her best interest. Children didn't belong with an army.

I entered headquarters and headed directly downstairs, the cool, dimly lit air of the basement making me feel more at ease. I wouldn't run into anyone down here.

I pushed open the door to Hange's messy lab and peeked my head inside, calling out, "Hange? Are you here?"

She popped out from behind her desk, a large smile lighting up her face as she saw me standing in the doorway. "(F/N)! Come in!" She motioned for me to enter the room, and when I did so, she came out from behind the desk, holding a stack of papers in her arms, as she asked, "How are you feeling? Better?"

I nodded to her. "I'm getting there."

She cleared a pile of papers and books off of a chair in the corner, dumping them all noisily on the ground, before waving at the empty seat and saying excitedly, "Sit, sit!"

I walked across the room and sunk into the chair. It was surprisingly comfortable. She pulled up a stool in front of me, setting her pile of papers in her lap, and then looked up at me, excitement flickering in her eyes behind her glasses. She grinned at me. "I'm so glad you agreed to help me with my study, (F/N). It's going to be so much fun!"

I grimaced as she pulled out a pen and began to jot something down on the top piece of paperwork. "Fun. Sure, Hange." I watched her scribble some notes across the paper for a moment, before I said, "So. This project of yours. Who agreed to help you?" She glanced up at me and I clarified. "You said you had been interviewing the cadets. Who have you talked to?"

"Oh, that." She resumed scribbling down notes as she said, "I already interviewed Armin. And Miller came and answered a few questions yesterday. And yes." She stopped writing and looked back up at me,the pen poised in her hand. "Jean came as well."

I raised an eyebrow at her. "Three cadets, Hange? That's your study?"

She shot me a glare and shuffled the papers in her lap as she huffed, "It's just beginning, (F/N). I hope to interview Eren next." A curious gleam came into her eye and she rubbed her hands together in eagerness. "Yes, hearing about his background and comparing it to his current behavior should be quite interesting indeed."

I sat back in the chair and let out a sigh. "All right then. Can we just get this over with? I don't like being one of your guinea pigs, Hange."

She smirked at me. "Ha. Guinea Pig." She seemed to get lost in her thoughts for a moment, but then snapped her fingers, pulling out her pen again as she said, "Right! Let's get going then." She held up one of the sheets in front of her, adjusting her glasses as she looked at me over the top of the paper. "It's really quite simple. I'm going to ask you some questions about your life. And you answer them as honestly as you can." She raised an eyebrow at me. "Ready then?"