Two Idiots And Their Pet Zombie (Waterparks)

————

Zombie Apocalypse AU. The zombie apocalypse has claimed the lives of many. It tries to claim the life of Awsten Knight.

————

Awsten did not imagine that out of himself, Geoff and Otto, that he would be bitten first.

But alas, there he was, lying down on his death bed with Otto and Geoff by his side. A bandage was wrapped haphazardly around a wound that would never heal. The fateful bite that would condemn him.

Awsten was so, unbelievably hot. A fever set in a few days after the initial bite. His eyes held heavy bags from the lack of sleep, his lime green hair that used to be vibrant and bright was greasy and plastered all over his face, it was getting so much harder to breathe as mucus filled his lungs.

Geoff wiped a tear from his eye before he placed a careful hand on Awsten's shoulder. "We should've had your back."

Awsten scoffed, the sound forced and unnatural. "Don't you dare go blaming yourself for this shit. I was a dumbass." Awsten's voice was scratchy and harsh sounding, so much contrast from the smoothness it had only a couple weeks ago.

Otto was trying his best to hold back his tears, but when his eyes met Awsten's, they all came flooding forward.

"You better not wimp out. Shoot me the second I turn." Awsten rasped out. He received a nod from Otto, who hesitantly brought his fingers to a gun sitting on a nightstand nearby. With that, the dying man let out a groan before laying his head back and closing his eyes one final time.

Geoff took a few steps forward and placed a trembling hand on Awsten's wrist, trying to find a pulse. He pushed into the flesh hard, trying to find something under the tissue. He frantically moved his hand to hover it before Awsten's mouth and nose, trying to feel even the slightest draft. He couldn't.

"He's gone..." Geoff said while turning back to Otto. He slowly stepped away from the soon-to-be zombie to return to the side of his friend.

Otto, Geoff, and Awsten had examined the "transformation process" early in the apocalypse. It started with the extreme fever that wore away at your body until it killed you approximately a week or two later. Next, the dead body would rot at an extremely accelerated pace. In a normal death, the human body will get purply, waxy skin, blue extremities and sunken in eyes in 30 minutes. A human-soon-to-be-zombie will get to that stage in one, maybe two. Finally, there's the moment you dread: the corpse will reanimate.

They watched in horror as their friend turned. It started with his skin. It had paled considerably before Awsten died, but it started to turn gray with blue and purple splotches forming sporadically. The fluids that had collected in Awsten's lungs were oozing their way out of his nose, it being a sickly green hue that matched his hair. And the smell, absolutely putrid. First, it was the small twitch of a finger, then the flutter of an eyelid. Geoff and Otto watched their friend's corpse reanimate itself in a grotesque, not-quite-alive fashion. The occasional spasm would rip through the body, only making the two friends flinch.

Otto's normally steady hand wobbled out of control as he slowly rose the gun, attempting to aim the barrel at Awsten's head.

"Ge-Geoff..." Otto choked back a sob, tears cascading down his face. "I c-can't." His words wavered with emotion as he struggled to move his other hand to help him steady the firearm and take aim.

Geoff, who was also failing at staying composed, brought another one of his own hands and placed it on Otto's grip, trying to steady it further. Altogether, their three hands were able to keep a somewhat stable trajectory. Otto's index finger slowly moved down to the trigger.