A True Gentleman

"Take a seat Edmonson"

"Thankyou Mr Holmes, I can guarantee this will not take up much of your time"

"I can only hope so"

Mycroft smiled, but it was a business smile, worn with a sense of practicality rather than genuinely. He had more important things to be doing, however Carl Edmonson was a valued member of the board and an associate of many MPs, so a meeting with him could surely only be beneficial. He would welcome him into his office to speak of whatever he wished if it meant gaining his trust as a colleague. Mycroft had rarely had the opportunity to speak to Edmonson, so he was slightly suspicious of his intentions, but still open to talk at least.

"Mr Holmes, you are without a doubt one of the most powerful men in the United Kingdom"
Mycroft smirked
"Flattery Edmonson? One might almost think you want something"
"Your opinion Sir, your opinion and influence in this case would indeed be most appreciated"

The elder Holmes leant forward, putting his arms on his desk, trying to get a proper look at his colleague. His body language showed he was very assured of his goals, that he was expecting Mycroft to give him what he wanted. However, he wasn't yet sure that was what he would get?
"My opinion...on what?"

"Mr Holmes, you are an esteemed and well posed gentleman, capable of only-"
"Don't grovel Edmonson, grovelling befits you. Please, get to the point, I have other things to be doing"
Mycroft said as he leant back into his chair, getting slightly irritated.
"Right...right...The opposition in the Houses of Parliament are putting in a bid to repeal a law and they would very much appreciate your backing"
"I don't deal with that kind of politics, you should know that already"
"I'm aware, but since you are a gentleman, your thoughts should align with the promotion of this cause"
"And what exactly is that cause Edmonson?"

The younger man perked up, excited to share the latest idea to benefit the country. He was sure this was going to go well, he was finally going to get a bill passed and finally going to get the recognition he deserved. Breathe easy Carl, this is your moment.
"We want to repeal the legalisation of gay marriage"

When Greg stepped through the door of his now significantly larger flat he was hit by a satisfying smell coming from the kitchen.
He'd just started to get his appetite back and was still finding it hard to remember what he should and shouldn't eat through his pregnancy. Mycroft, however, had almost instantly adjusted all of his internal recipes to avoid anything that might be unsafe for his boyfriend. His meals would not only be delicious but also healthy and safe. This made Greg very happy and eased his stress from the day.

The silver haired detective dropped his case by the door, kicking off his shoes and hanging his coat by the door. He stepped into the kitchen but was surprised by the sight.
The lights were dimmed, there were candles on the countertops and the dining table had been set out to impress royalty, meals already served and waiting.
The master chef was stood by his creation in equally smart attire making Greg rather confused and also have a sinking feeling of forgetting something.

"Uhhh...I thought our anniversary was next month?" He said, scratching his head and blushing slightly. He loved this crazy eccentric idiot.
"Gregory darling..." Mycroft said delicately as he walked over to his love, taking his hands in his own. "I realised something today, something of vital importance"
The look in his eyes was of pure and utter adoration. God what did Greg do to deserve this, his perfect life. He fought his pounding heart to get his words out.

"What... did you realise?"

"That I cannot be without you"

No, no way.
Stupid stupid Mycroft Holmes, stupid ridiculous marvellous Mycroft Holmes. He had always been his, but they'd never really talked about the next step...
Mycroft knelt down on one knee, blushing hard as he let himself get lost in Greg's eyes. From his pocket he brought out a medium sized box.
"M-Mycroft, I-"

"Dearest darling, my most treasured love, you are the beacon guiding me to purest joy. On this day I realised I could not go another without showing the world how much I adore you. Would you do me the honour..."
He opened the box to reveal a gold ring with diamonds encrusted all the way round. It was beautiful, subtle yet stunning.
"Gregory Lestrade, will you marry me?"

There was a pause, a moment of silence before Greg joined his love on the floor and said yes. Well...a rough and passionate snog counts as a yes right?
"Of course you idiot, of course I will"
They kissed again, or maybe a lot.

When they parted, laughing and smiling, Mycroft took the opportunity to put the ring onto Greg's finger. It was a perfect fit.
"My fiancé, husband-to-be" it felt so unreal to be saying those words "tonight is my gift to you" he stood up and turned on the stereo he'd put on the countertop. Slow dance music filled the room as he offered his hand to Greg.
The detective blushed and patted his baby bump.
"I might need a bit more help than that love"

Mycroft helped Greg up and pulled him close. He placed a hand on the small of Greg's back, gently rubbing circles into the area he knew Greg had been uncomfortable with lately. This simple action soothed lot of tension and Greg melted into Mycroft's hold. With his other hand, Mycroft took Greg's and slowly swayed their bodies in time with the music.

They stayed in this moment of bliss for quite a while until Greg suddenly tensed up.
"What is? Is it the baby?" Mycroft asked, voice laced in concern.
"Yeah...uh...I think they just moved"