1

Valencia Auclair

I was awakened due to the persistent ringing of my alarm that sat on my bedside table. I groaned and struggled to switch it off because of the grogginess clouding my mind. I rose from my bed after finally being able to put an end to the persistent sound.

I hadn't gotten an inkling of sleep because of the nerves of starting at a new school eating at me until the first light shone through my thin curtains. I trekked to my bathroom and splashed cold water in my face to wake me up and proceeded to do my normal bathroom routine. I exited and grasped the only outfit I hadn't packed to take with me to the boarding school, which was my new uniform. It consisted of an off white colored blouse, a dark navy cardigan, and a dark navy and gray plaid skirt. Luckily I had received my uniform earlier than expected and was able to have it altered just in time for my first day.

I am rather sheltered which at the time my father thought was for the best but now is starting to regret his decision. From a young age it has been clear that I was powerful. My abilities surfaced at a much younger age than most. My father found this alarming, and soon after, pulled me from my elementary school and hired a tutor to homeschool me. As I grew up so did my powers but I had no idea what I was doing with them or how to properly control them. It got to the point I was shifting into animals in my fits of anger and not being able to shift back. I wasn't allowed out of the house because of my unpredictable reactions. My father decided that it was time for me to go to a school and learn control and how to socialize. Unlike my last school this one was only meant for Epheriam.

A distant voice pulled me out of my light train of thoughts as my father shouted to me from downstairs that I needed to load my luggage into his car soon. I glanced around my bare room before dragging the first round of my bags down the wooden staircase.

Our home has been passed down from generation to generation. It looks rather cold and abandoned from the outside because of the gray stones used to build the manor and the vines clinging to any small crevice they can find but it was always filled with warmth and love. Only three people live here; my father, our butler, and me. My mother left many years ago after having an affair and leaving to be with the man she fell in love with. I've tried reaching out to her but she is always busy bringing her kids to school and their after school activities so I gave up a while ago.

My dad has dated after and is in a three month relationship with a very sweet lady. Despite all his offers she refuses to move here because she does not want to be "dependent" on any man.

I want to be just like her.

I threw my stuff into my dad's small sports car and went back upstairs to grab the other half of my luggage.

With the bags in hand I softly shut my door whispering a small goodbye to the place i've spent my whole life in and rushed downstairs. I grabbed a box of granola bars from the pantry for our long car ride where I would then catch a plane and have the school pick me up.

"Hey dad are you ready to go?" I called out from the kitchen.

"Give my one second Val." He called from another room.

"Alright I'll just wait in the car." I heard no response but headed to the car anyways, which I had named Kingsley, and sat in the front seat.

Minutes later my dad slipped into the driver's seat with excited eyes and a wide grin. I then noticed a thick and heavy book in his hand.

"I found this photo album from when you were younger and thought you would like to have it." He said while handing me the brown leatherbound book. I flipped through the book and saw all of our happy memories together and my eyes filled with unshed tears that were threatening to escape. I reached over and threw my arms over my fathers shoulder. "Thank you dad, I'll take good care of it." I told him with a wobbly voice.

After we seperated he pulled out of the circular driveway and away from our home.

It's hidden deep within the woods which was perfect for when I lost control so I wouldn't disturb any humans.

My father and I settled into an easy going conversation for the next three hours of our car ride. We talked about my new school and the room I would get there, what my classes could possibly look like, and we chatted a little bit about his girlfriend and how she is doing and that he might go see her. They have a long distance relationship so my dad has to travel through multiple states in order to see her.

We arrived at the airport and my dad walked me inside but he couldn't go further at a certain point. He gave me directions to where my flight would be but as he was talking his voice became more and more distorted from the sad thickness clogging up his throat. He pulled me in for another hug and kissed me on top of my head. I could feel tears dripping from his chin onto my forehead.

"I'm gonna miss you Val," he said with his quivering voice "remember I'm only a call away."

"I know."

"Remember to behave, do good in school, make friends, and no boys, okay?" he said with a teary chuckle in his voice as he said the last part.

"Alright I'll try to remember that last part I guess." I said mockingly and we both laughed "I love you dad and I'll call you as much as I can."

He pulled back and put both his hands on my shoulder and I stared into his reddened dark brown eyes "I love you too honey, never forget that, I'll always be here if things don't work out." I went in for another quick hug and my last I love you and then I turned away, trudging my way over to my flight. Before I boarded I waved goodbye and then continued on.

I sat in my seat which was in first class because my dad didn't want me to be to overwhelmed by all the humans. The humans know we exist but some of them fear us and their fear overtime turned into hatred because of the power we hold over them.

I relaxed into the comfortable seat and tried to find ways to help me cheer up. I felt guilt for wanting to go to this school, its always been me and my dad and I don't want him to be lonely. The only thing that slightly lightened the mood was that he would spend more time with his girlfriends because he didn't have to worry about me.

I relaxed to the thought of him not being completely alone and it was only that thought that helped me fall into my usual dreamless sleep.