Although the ring is perfect. It looks like it's seen things, has a story to be told that you're dying to hear.

Abuela gives me a look demanding to cut the bullshit. "You like this girl?"

I nod, very much so.

"She likes you?"

The nod stops. No. But I can't bring myself to say it. There's no way in hell Scarlett feels nothing. If our conversations from last night prove anything, she's at least attracted to me.

That's something but not really what I'm going for here.

"I think so."

"Then what's the protest?" She pushes.

"I... I don't want to freak her out." I admit, "Guys don't get friends jewelry." Certainly not pretty rings.

She shrugs, "Put a chain on it, I wore my engagement around my neck for a year. I was only a little younger than you."

The thought of engagement makes me want to hurl. To be that young and that advanced in life sounds terrifying, I just want to graduate high school.

Pocketing the ring, I hug her. "Thank you for this and for liking her."

She rubs my back with her bony hand, "Of course, mi Amor."

*****

Christmas break has been pretty casual. I've spent most of it at the Rhodes house, lying around with Scarlett as she bosses the boys around. I leave everyday by four, mom demanding I'm home for dinner.

She hasn't mentioned the kiss, honestly, she probably doesn't remember anything from that night.

Which is fine, totally fine.

Grabbing the wrapped box off my dresser, I run downstairs. "Mom, I'm going out."

She rounds the corner, looking ridiculous in a grinch Christmas sweater. "Where's your coat?"

"In the car." I lie, opening the door.

I don't exactly know what everyone's plans are for tomorrow, so I'll drop everything off tonight.

*****

"Ash, man, how's life?" Gabe calls through the phone, far too loud.

"It's good, just ate dinner and opened my one present for Christmas Eve." I offer casually, turning my truck onto the road I now know by heart.

"How is your favorite person?" He asks.

"Sage is great."

He chuckles, "I'm talking of the female variety."

Of course, he is, "Scarlett is fine, I'm actually headed over now to give her house now." But he doesn't need to know I'm already here. "How's skiing with the fam?"

"Wonderful. It's cold as balls but I've picked up a snow bunny or two to keep me warm."

I snort, I'm not surprised by that. "Has he popped the question?"

"Tonight's the night, in the cabin after dinner." He explains. "I'm sorta hoping she says no just to see his face but I doubt-"

His voice grows distant, a grunt and a swear muffling through the phone.

"Hello?" A breathless, female voice asks.

"No offense, but where's Gabe?"

"He's unimportant, are you Ashton McClain? As in the total hottie my cousin's become friends with?" She demands, the sounds of Gabe groaning in the background.