Decisive Talks

The matches came to an end, eventually. The trio returned home together and began making dinner. Oblivious, Shouto sat at the table and watched the men cook.  Yamada turned to him, a serious look overcoming his face.

"Shouto, we need to talk to you about something." Shouto tensed and looked between the pair. He nodded and made a vague gesture with his hand.

"Then talk."

"Your father's going to be trialled soon for- you know. As you're directly involved, we have to ask you if you would want to stand in court against him. You wouldn't have to physically be there- or in the same room as him. You'd give a statement, saying what both happened with him and what you would like in regard to visiting rights. You don't have to do anything, if you want to as well." Yamada said, measuring his tone and breath evenly. There was a pause for a few minutes.

"What happens after?" he asked, looking between the two.

"After the trial, you can continue to stay with us, or we can arrange for a foster family to look after you, if that would make you more comfortable." Aizawa answered. Shouto nodded mutely and bit his lip in thought.

"Think about it. You don't have to give an answer now." they ate dinner in relative silence, just unintelligent murmurs and dead-end conversations exchanged across the table.

The next morning, Shouto entered the pair's bedroom while they were getting dressed for the day. He stood silently and watched as Aizawa fitted his utility belt and Yamada turned on his hearing aids.

"Are you all right, Shouto?" Aizawa asked casually, as if he wasn't attaching more than a dozen knives to his person.

"Yeah, um, I- uh- I want to give a statement- for the trial. And, if you'll have me, I'd like to stay with you- after the trial." the stuttering turned rehearsed as he continued. He looked expectantly at the men. They exchanged glances through the mirror.

"Okay. We'll get you to give the statement one day after school this week. Your father's lawyers have requested to speak with you. If you don't want to speak with them, you don't have to." the younger nodded.

"I want to speak with them." he said.

"Okay then, we'll arrange it for before the trial. The trial will be in just over a weeks' time. If at any point you want to back out, tell us." Yamada made sure to hold eye contact, serious. He smiled after, like flipping a switch, "Great! Now go get dressed. You're going to be late otherwise."