Chapter 7

It's a Hard Life

Freddie's P.O.V
The whole Cristina thing has broken my heart. I can't believe she could do this.
We have been together for more than four years and this happened.
Unbelievable.

"Freddie! Open the door! This is enough!" Yelled Brian and banged the door.

"Brian go away. I don't need any of your lectures." I responded annoyed but softly. My strength was not the same as before.

"Freddie!" He said back angrily and seriously.
I opened the door with no interest on listening to him and he started talking.

"Freddie, it's been 5 days and you haven't left this room. Come on, get a break." His voice sounded less mean, but I could feel the lecture coming.
"I know it must hurt. But Freddie, don't lock yourself up from the world, you need to at least talk to somebody."

"Brian, you don't understand how much Cristina meant to me. I loved her." I said while looking at the the floor, and Brian, for some reason, started walking around the room like he was looking for something.

He was walking for about 10 minutes, but I didn't ask what he was doing. I just sat in the couch, silently, wondering what he was going to do next. Then he found something in my bag, and I knew now what he was doing. He pulled a small box out, and handed it to me.

"Fred, I saw you buy this during the trip. You had a big smile on your face." He said patiently waiting for an answer.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Brian." I responded obliviously.

"Then I should open this."
Brian opened the black, small box and knowing what was in there I said,
"It's beautiful, isn't it Brian?"

"It is. But the meaning it has is even more beautiful. You were going to propose, Freddie. You wanted to marry Cristina, you probably still do. I'm sure she hasn't even explained to you personally what happened that day. Who knows? Maybe it is as she says, maybe nothing happened between her and that boy. Fred, you just have to learn to forgive and accept people make mistakes; and this probably wasn't even Cristina's mistake, and I say this because I know her, and she's not that type of person." Brian put the diamond ring in the table in front of me.

I remember what I felt when I bought that ring... the excitement of the trip itself because it was Queen's first time going on tour... imagining a future with Cristina... when I was walking through the streets and people couldn't believe they were seeing Freddie Mercury... thinking about what new songs I could write for the new album... but then I came back, and saw Cristina with someone in her own house...
that destroyed my dreams and excitement in a matter of seconds.

"So? What do you say, Fred?" Asked Brian after a couple minutes.

"You know what, Brian? This has probably been the only pep talk that we've had that hasn't sucked." I laughed.

"I think I'm going to take that as a complement..." he laughed back.

I put some nice jeans and a shirt on and fixed my hair. I want to go to Cristina's house and at least talk about what happened, tell her I forgive her, and most likely propose to her during the weekend.

"Ready, Freddie?" Brian asked proudly.

"Let's do this, darling!" I responded with a smile.
Wow, now that I think of it, in the past 5 days, no one has seen a smile coming out of my face.
But, oh well, tough times come and you just have to keep yourself alive. Am I right?

As I lock my front door, a lady with strange looking clothes stands in front of me.

"May I help you, ma'am?" I asked politely.

"Are you Freddie Mercury?" She asked in a serious tone.

"I am indeed."

"I've been told you know Cristina?" She asked.
That's odd... who is she?

"I do know her... but, who are you, ma'am?" I asked with curiosity.

"I work at the central city hospital." She said very directly.

"Hospital? Is everything okay?" Brian asked with an alarmed expression.

"I'm afraid not. Cristina is hurt. She is tremendously hurt. We contacted you because we saw your name and address in one of her belongings, and I would appreciate if you and your friend drive to the hospital, immediately."