Chapter 10: Late Night Cocoa

A young man with blond hair and blue eyes leapt off of his Braviary, looking up at the tall charcoal building looming over his head. He rubbed his thumb against his fingers, not ready to go inside. Normally, after the young man was done with a mission, he was excited to run back inside the dark city and let the man inside know how he did, but today was different. For the first time, the young man felt as if he had failed.

"C'mon, Draven," the young man said to himself, "let's see what he has for you this time."

His Braviary nudged his leg. Draven looked down and frowned at the feathered Pokémon. As much as he wanted to say the words, this is all your fault that we're in this mess, he couldn't. Braviary did as much as he could back in Sinnoh. Neither of them were prepared during their last mission.

The young man remembered vividly what happened back at that run-down motel. He found his target, Swanna Girl, and he had her where he wanted her. Right when things were about to go his way, she escaped with Braviary Man's partner, Braviary. He picked her up and flew out of the building before he had the chance to finish the job he was supposed to complete.

Somewhere here in Unova, he thought to himself, she's causing trouble. I just know it.

Draven thought he could be able to find her by now. Just a few days after that incident, and the young woman somehow managed to stay under the radar. It bugged Draven knowing she could do that. Regardless, the blond walked into the building, preparing himself for the biggest reprimanding of his life.

The buildings in Black City were enormous. Draven felt small because of it. He walked up and down staircases and trudged down hallways. While he did, he noticed how tall the walls were. Draven had grown up in this very building his entire life. He thought that one day, when he was older, he would feel as if he didn't feel so small. That day never came.

A chill shivered down his spine as he opened the door to find an older man wearing a gray polo, khakis, and a lab coat thrown over it. Draven stopped to look at the man's worn down face, looking into the colorless eyes that were there. His heart started to pound as the older man looked over at him and stood up.

"Did you get the woman as I asked?" the older man asked as he grabbed his white cane and held it in front of him.

Draven was silent. This was the third time he managed to let Swanna Girl out of his grasp. The first was back in Hoenn, but back then, he found it to be unfair if he'd kidnapped her as she was actually doing some sort of good. It shocked Draven that she was actually capable of doing that, but he remembered watching her as she rescued a small little Pokémon from a forest fire. It was a small act, but if she didn't do that, then there would've been more deaths that had happened during that time. Draven decided that it was best to get rid of the fire rather than kidnap the young woman.

His hands clenched into fists at the memory. As wrong as it was, he should've done something right at that very moment, especially after the last two encounters he had with her. Draven remembered how it was Swanna Girl who accused him of being a villain, but she had no idea the justice he was doing. The work that Draven and the older man were doing, it was going to save thousands of lives, unlike what criminals, like Swanna Girl, did in their spare time.

"You failed," the older man figured out. "Don't you realize how important it is that we have her here?"

"Why does she matter? She should be killed on the spot!" Draven screamed at the older man. "I don't get why she can't be killed now. She's killed thousands! First, in Castelia, then she runs around Team Miasma doing who knows what. She deserves to—"

"And she will be punished for her crimes later," the other man's deep assured as walked towards Draven, using his cane to sense the area around him.