TWO: The Interrogation

NOV 6th, 2038AM 12:41:05

NOV 6th, 2038
AM 12:41:05

"WHAT HAPPENED BEFORE YOU TOOK THAT KNIFE?" Hank asks the android in the interrogation room. "How long were you in the attic?" He pauses but receives no answer. "Why didn't you even try to run away?"

Regina watches with both interest and annoyance as Hank asks the android questions. She figured he would have caught on that androids don't subscribe to the same rules as humans. They work differently, both figuratively and in literal function.

She just needs to figure out how this android ticks.

"Say something, goddamn it!" Hank snaps, slamming his hands down on the table. The android doesn't move, doesn't acknowledge Hank at all.

Regina feels sorry for him. He was clearly beaten by his owner-abused for years. If it were her, Regina would kill Ortiz too.

Hank stands with a scoff. "Fuck it, I'm outta here." He exits the interrogation room and enters the room behind the mirror, where Regina, Connor, Gavin Reed, and Chris watch. "We're wastin' our time interrogating a machine! We're getting nothing out of it!" He sits down in front of Regina, next to Chris.

"We could always try roughing it up a little." Gavin says with a crossing of his arms.

"That would accomplish exactly nothing, Reed." Regina grits.

"It's not human." He defends.

"Androids don't feel pain." Connor interrupts. "You would only damage it. And that wouldn't make it talk. Deviants also have a tendency to self-destruct when they're in stressful situations."

"Okay, smartass." Gavin steps forward. "What should we do, then?"

Connor faces forward. "I could try questioning it." He glances nervously between Regina and Hank.

Gavin guffaws and leans back against the wall.

But Hank gestures to the door. "What do we have to lose?" Gavin's grin falls. "Go ahead. Suspect's all yours."

"I'll tag along." Regina says, shooting a smirk towards Gavin. He sneers.

Regina slides her coat off and tosses it over the back of Hank's chair. Her heels click on the hard floor as she follows Connor out of the room. She rolls up the sleeves of her fuchsia button up as she and Connor walk into the interrogation room. The android doesn't acknowledge them.

Regina and Connor both sit down across from the android. Looking him over, it's hard not to be horrified at the damage done to him. Regina looks upon the cigarette burn scars with boiling anger in her belly.

"I detect an instability in your program." Connor says with a slight head tilt. "It can trigger an unpleasant feeling, like fear in humans."

No response.