Chapter 4 - Set in motion - part 1

Start from the beginning

It's like a... I can't believe I'm thinking this... it's like a force field... she told herself, eyes wide.

Cautiousl, she reached up to touch the "force field". But as soon as her fingers brushed the surface, it vanished, startling her. She wasn't sure if she could move, at first. Too many questions were buzzing in her head. What had happened? How had that box not hit her, and what the heck was that strange circle of light she'd just seen? She hadn't imagined it! Or had she...?

"Oh, my, Andie! Are you alright?"

Andie jumped and looked round at Miss Philipson, who came tottering towards her looking worried.

"Oh, my, what happened? Are you hurt?" she asked, starting to lean forwards.

"No, I'm fine, don't bend down. I just slipped. Don't worry."

"Are you sure? You could have hit your head, maybe you should see the nurse..."

Maybe I should see a psychiatrist if I'm imagining force fields... Andie thought.

"No, I'm fine, really. I'll just put these out of the way and sort them tomorrow, is that okay?"

"Yes, of course. It's getting late, your parents will be getting concerned. Thank you for the help. Are you quite sure you're not hurt at all?"

"Positive," Andie said, smiling reassuringly. "But thank you for your concern."

She smiled again and walked confidently out. However, as soon as she had left the library, she tore off across the hall and out of the building towards her car. She leaned against her door, gasping for breath, her face covered in sweat. She closed her eyes, her hands pressed against her car. She breathed slowly, keeping her eyes closed. And felt a hand on her shoulder.

Andie whipped around, startled.

"... Bane?" she asked, in a slightly croaky voice, her breath still short.

"... Andie... sorry, I didn't mean to scare you... are you okay?" he asked, looking worried.

Andie was unable to answer for a few seconds.

"Honestly? I don't know." she said.

"Here, sit down, you're trembling."

He led her to the bench across the campus and helped her sit down. They could still see Andie's car.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Bane asked gently.

She glanced up at him. He was looking at her with concern in his piercing blue eyes.

"... I... I'm not sure I can..."

"You mean you're not allowed to?" Bane asked.

Andie shook her head.

"No... no, it's... I don't even know... I can't even make any sense of it myself..."

"Why don't you try telling me what happened?" Bane suggested gently.

 Andie was about to, when something made her pause.

 "... What about you?"

Bane looked at her, taken aback.

 "What?"

 "You. How come you're here?" Andie asked.

 Bane seemed uncomfortable.

 "Uh... I had an essay to do, I was working in the library." he said.

 Andie frowned.

 "No, you weren't," she said. "I was in the library, just now, and there was no one but Miss Phillips and me!"