Chapter 4: Still Into You

"I'm sorry sir, we only allow friends of the coordinators into the backstage area. Are you a friend of one of the coordinators participating?"

"Yes sir, her name is Serena."

"Hm... okay. You may go. But do not misbehave. We have security back here as well. If your actions are deemed obnoxious or rude, you may be thrown out. Understand?"

"Yes sir."

Ash and his partner passed through the security gate and arrived in the backstage area of the Sootopolis Stadium. He walked down the hall, passing by coordinators and friends as he searched for the room that connects to the stage entrance, where most of the coordinators tend to stay. He eventually found a room filled with coordinators and their Pokémon, with televisions scattered across the room, as well as a few in the center, facing different directions, all showing the live contest feed. They all showed that the judges were currently in the middle of discussing the results of the first round, and all the coordinators seemed to be out, waiting impatiently for the results to be announced. Ash immediately started looking around, searching for the honey blonde.

Dawn noticed Ash come in. She turned to him, holding Piplup in her arms, Bellossom at her feet. "Hey, Ash! What's going on?"

Ash and Pikachu turned to Dawn and waved. "Oh, hey Dawn! You did really great!"

"Thanks, Ash!" She smiled. Ash continued looking around, causing Dawn to tilt her head slightly, puzzled. "What are you looking for?"

Ash didn't stop looking around, but he smiled lightly. "A friend."

Dawn blinked a couple times at the vague answer, staring at him in confusion. "Uh... maybe check the makeup room?"

Dawn pointed over to a door towards a nearby corner of the room, which had a label next to it that showed it was the makeup room. Ash nodded. "Worth a shot."

Ash wandered over the door, dodging all the coordinators and stopping in front of the door. He took a deep breath.

"Pika." Ash's partner said from his shoulder, rubbing the back of his trainer's neck gently, comforting him. Ash smiled at him.

"Thanks, Pikachu. You're right." He turned back to the door and opened it gently.

"...he's here. I know it." Ash heard a familiar female voice say from inside the room as he opened the door.

As soon as he got a full view of the room, he saw all the huge mirrors and decorations that surrounded them. As he closed the door behind him, he saw that all but one of the mirror stations were empty; one seat held a girl his age with honey blonde hair down to her shoulders. The girl was wearing a pink and red medium-length dress that exposed her shoulders. She was petting a Sylveon who sat on the floor next to her. A Braixen also held her paw on her trainer's shoulder. Ash smiled when he saw this scene, reminding him of his time in Kalos. The girl and her partners all heard the door open, and turned toward the sound. The brightest of blue eyes turned to look up at him.

Ash immediately grinned his signature grin. "There you are."

He held up his hand in greeting, mimicked by his partner on his shoulder.

"Hey, Serena."

The girl gasped, putting her hand over her mouth as sheer emotion flooded out of her. She stared right at the boy of her dreams, dressed in the same clothes he wore when they travelled together. Her eyes started sparkling, and when she moved her hand away from her mouth, it revealed the loving smile on her pretty face. He could almost see the joy and emotion in her bright blue eyes.

"Ash..."

Serena hastily stood up out of her chair and ran toward Ash. Pikachu quickly hopped off of Ash's shoulder. She held out her arms and jumped at him. Ash caught her in his arms, bringing her close to him while she put her arms around his neck, resting them on his shoulders. He used her momentum to spin her around once, before placing her back on the ground delicately. As her movement stopped, her head found a resting place on one of his shoulders, snuggling into that spot comfortably. He rested his head on top of hers, rubbing her back lightly. Serena let out a sigh of content and happiness, her smile still very present on her face. She began to tear up slightly out of sheer joy.