Chapter 12

"Jay slow down. I think I'm going to be sick." I see Alex leaning forward like he is ready to hurl. I reach out grabbing him and hold him up.

     "Oh hell no. You can puke outside." I swing the truck to the side of the road and reach across opening the door for him. I breath a sigh of relief I buckled him in so he can't fall out of the truck as he heaves his guts outside. I hold his shoulder to steady him until he is down and hand him a water bottle. "You're gonna need that. For later and to help get the taste out of your mouth."

     He grunts his thanks to me while swishing some water in his mouth before spitting it outside. The door slams on it's hinges before I start to pull back on the road. Gravel flies back as the truck jerks back to the road heading back to our dorm. This time I go slower and drive more carefully for Alex.

     I twist the knob on the door before kicking it open with Alex's arms draped over my shoulders. "Come on bud." I drag him to his bed before tossing him onto it making him grunt when he lands. I bend down helping him take off his shoes before pushing him closer to the center of the bed.

     "You are the best Jay. Thank you." His voice sounds rough and hoarse. 

     "What were you thinking Alex? I've seen you drink. Hell you can drink most people under the table. What on earth could make you get piss drunk?" It was true. Alex was famous for beating almost everyone in drinking games in high school so it would take a monstrous amount of alcohol to get him this drunk.

     Pulling my desk chair to me I take a seat next to his bed. I sit patiently watching him while he makes himself comfortable. Clearing my throat I make it known I am still waiting for an answer. He finally settles himself before looking at me with a painful expression on his face.

     "She was at the party with HIM. That slimy little rich prick. I only had a few drinks while I was walking around talking to a few of my friends when I saw them dancing. His hands were all over her even when she kept moving his hands back to just her waist. And when she tried to speak to me he just grabbed her and started making out with her. My blood was boiling and she just fucking let him. So I just went crazy drinking and yea that is what happened."

     His face was in a battle between the pain and anger he felt for her. I haven't seen this look on his face since Stephanie. This is exactly why he became the guy he is today because he is afraid to get attached enough to get hurt. I run my fingers through my hair realizing that Alex has fallen head over heels for Melanie.

     I saw flashes of it through the years even with how much he drove her wild. He would talk big game, but when it came to Mel he had a soft spot for her. I had my suspicions when he would always let her wear his game jersey instead of any of the girls he fooled with. All the signs were there, but Alex was just being Alex.

     "So when you asked for her help were you trying to change or get close to Mel?" He stares at me with his mouth half open before letting his head fall.

     "I thought if she could help me change I could just be a better person. It didn't work like that. Everything she told me I just kept imagining I could start over and use it on her. I couldn't help myself when I kissed her. We were just walking downtown between the shops and she just looked so beautiful. You have no clue how soft her lips are Jay."

     "Actually, I do." His eyes snap to me as he tries to raise up, but I grip his shirt holding him down. "We were both drunk in high school at someone's party. We were just goofing off when she told me to close my eyes. About two seconds after I closed them I felt her lips on mine. She didn't remember it the next day until I told her. We both let it go because it was just something that happened when we were drunk."

     His cold blue eyes lock onto mine measuring my words before filling with relief. "Well that is a relief. I don't think I could ever measure up to the almighty Jayden in her eyes." A laugh barks from my chest at the idea. He really had no clue about what kind of relationship we shared. It would never come to that.

     "No. The only thing to worry about is the snake she is dating. I've met him already. I do not approve." I had only met him once and did not make the right impression in my eyes. He hid behind his charm thinking that he was better than everyone. His eyes are what gives him away. He watches Melanie like a wolf watches his prey.

     Melanie was an innocent girl and her boyfriend was trying to prey on that. "Look, this guy is bad news. But, my hands are tied because I promised Mel that I would do my best to not go after every guy that she dated. So you need to sober the hell up. Mel needs us whether she knows it or not."

     Alex pulls himself to a seated position listening to each word. "She is not going to be happy with us getting in her business. I am already on thin ice since I kissed her and I know the two of you were having issues already because this guy." I feel my head nodding thinking about how angry she will be.

     Her wrath will be terrifying and I will have to deal with it. I watch Alex while he is deep in thought about the situation. I will need him to expose Maxwell, but I have to take the fall. A shiver runs through my body because I am afraid to think what would happen to Alex if Mel blamed him.

     "Go to sleep Alex. We can talk about what needs to happen later. Maybe Amber will understand and offer to help when she meets the guy." I turn away returning my chair to my desk before getting ready to lay down. Rustling goes on behind me by Alex as he tries to get comfy.

     "I just don't want her to get hurt. If it isn't me I just want her to be happy." I can barely hear the grumbling of his voice in the dark. His breathing begins to slow before he opens his mouth again in a whisper. "Falling in love is too damn hard."

     I feel guilt grow in gut while laying down remembering the whole reason I took his and Melanie's advice. "I know. Trust me I know exactly what you are talking about."