Chapter 11

"Well....what do we have here? Have you missed me Jayden?" I hit my head on the wall behind me at the sound of the voice. I turn my head to see Jessica making her way down the hall towards me. It was so easy to pick her fiery red hair out of a crowd.

     "Now why in the hell would I come here for you?" My voice is low and stern as I feel the venom in my mouth.

     "Because I am irresistible. No man can get enough of me." She flips her hair over her shoulder before getting close. A teasing smirk is plastered onto her face. "That includes you. I remember how you used to respond to my touch."

     My face twists with a snarl as she reaches out dragging a finger down my chest. Her eyes are full of lust as her eyes wander up and down my body. I push myself off the wall with my hands clinched tight at my side. I raise myself up to my full height as I look down to her.

     "That is close enough bitch." I feel my face tightening with a smile  at the new voice. You asked for it I mouth to her. I watch as Zoe grips Jessica's shoulder pulling her away. I hold back my laughter as I place my hands on her waist. "I have heard all about you and your ways. Jayden has no need for you."

     I watch as Jessica's face turns as red as her hair watching the woman in front of her. Her eyes bore holes into Zoe, but she stands her ground. Her eyes begin to turn back and forth between me and Zoe before turning on her heel stomping away. My confident smile vanishes when Zoe faces me with the same serious expression.

     "Aren't you going to follow her? She is irresistible after all." Her cold face breaks open with laughter. I stand with my mouth wide open shocked she would joke about this.

     "That is so not funny." I feel her arms snake around my neck and she brushes her lips softly against mine.

     "It was a very funny." I pull her tighter against me as she fights against me. Her hands press hard against my chest creating space. "Nope. If I let you kiss me here then we will never get to hear who is playing tonight."

     I let out a low whine. Damn me and my plans. Every Friday night we went back to the park and watch different performers from the hillside. It was always amazing to spend time with her there. Whether we were talking, listening to the music, or just enjoying each other's company. 

     She keeps a soft smile on her face as she offers her hand to me. I take it as I intertwine our fingers pulling her with me. We dip through the crowd of people making our way to my truck. I earn a kiss by opening the door and helping her inside.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     A shiver runs through me when Zoe's nails drag softly across the top of my head. I look up at her as she props herself up on her side to continue with an amused look on her face. "I take it that you must be really enjoying this."

     "Duh. But I wouldn't make you stop either way."  I relax letting her continue as I look up at the night sky. I try to count the number of stars in the sky until my gaze settles on her. "You have that look on your face. What are you thinking about?"

     "I was just wondering about your friends." I shuffle myself up and look at her waiting to explain. "Like I have heard stories about you and Amber. And we had that talk about Melanie a couple weeks ago. But, I have no clue how you are friends with Alex. I have heard a lot of stories about him from girls around the school and he sounds like someone you wouldn't be friends with."

     I have been friends with Alex for years and he had not always been so forward about everything. "Alex is really a good guy deep down. He actually helped my deal with a few bullies growing up. I actually didn't fill out until the past year so growing up I was an easy target." I feel her eyes hovering over me so I reach out pulling her into my lap.

     "He wasn't always a player and honestly he hasn't been one for that long. Alex is the youngest of four boys and he often was ignored because of that fact." I let my hands run down feelings the softness of her arms. "Sometime in the middle of sophomore year he decided he wanted to make himself know. His whole persona changed almost overnight."

     "But, how can he do that to all of those girls?" She was asking the real questions tonight. If she was going to be around my friends she deserved to know.

     "Because it happened to him first. A girl named Stephanie Myers was the slut of the school and for some reason she picked Alex to fool around with. He thought he was in love because all the attention he was getting, but they weren't really dating. She was fooling around with a few different guys and refused to believe us when we told him. He found out the hard way when he found her in bed with one of his older brothers. A couple weeks after that is when he changed."

     "That sounds absolutely awful! I feel bad that it happened to him." I feel her shiver against me making me frown at her decision for not bringing a jacket. I lean back removing my hoodie and force it onto her. Zoe tries to act mad that I forced her to wear my hoodie, but I can see her sly smile and snuggles back against me.

     "The only decent thing is he actually warns each girl before he gets involved with him. Sadly, most of them think they will be the one that can make him stop. I was actually surprised that he asked Melanie for help to become more normal."

     "That is right before he tried to kiss her right?" I stare at her with a blank expression wondering how she got to that. I never told her about the kiss. "I'm a girl and that makes me smarter than you. He would only ask for help if he felt something for her."

     "Well that make sense when you think about it. They just fight a lot." I frown as my leg starts to vibrate. I quickly realize that is it is my phone, but I don't know who would be calling me this late. 

     "That better be your phone and not something else under my butt." I pinch her butt making her jump while I grab my phone checking the caller ID. Amber's name lights up under our graduation photo while the phone continues to vibrate until I answer it.

     "What's up Amber?"

     "Jay, I need your help. Alex went to some party and is drunk off his ass. Can you come help get him back to the dorm? I'm  sorry for interrupting date night, but Melanie isn't answering my calls so I am guessing she is busy sucking her boyfriend's face."

    I groan into the phone before looking at Zoe. She is already standing and brushing herself off waiting for me. "Yea. I'll help. You owe me big time."

     "Thank you Jayden. I'll text you the address. See you soon." I look at Zoe apologetically because I feel guilty having to leave on our night. I walk slowly to her side of the truck taking her hands in mine.

     "It's alright Jayden. You friend needs help and I have a suspicion that Alex is running from something." I feel the warmth of her lips on my cheek as she presses against my chest. "I'm not mad babe."

     "Did you know that you are an amazing girlfriend?" I press my lips against her kissing her passionately before she pulls away.

     "Easy babe. Your friend needs you." I groan while opening her door and help her inside. I swing around to the driver seat and twist the key in the ignition. The truck roars to life as I start to pull away. "Don't worry. You can make it up to me some other time." She turns her grin away from me when the truck goes from dirt road to pavement. I will have to make a plan for that.