Chapter 8 - Rogue Omega

Start from the beginning

"He's still a rouge werewolf!" Darren snarled. "I don't know about this omega shit but - "

"That's enough, Darren."

"He's dangerous!"

"Dangerous? Look at him!"

"He looks like an angel. So small and hurt..." Morgan mused, and Justin made a face as if he had just swallowed a fly. 

"An angel?! He's got a gun!" 

"Darren, please." Ronan asked nicely, but it was clearly not a request. Darren shut his mouth.

"How do we know for sure? That he's an omega, I mean." Justin interjected.

"Theoretically we could just ask him. But if he's never been around other werewolves then he might not know, himself. And naturally, he might know, and lie about it. Those scars and the scent from before are hints, but the only way we can make sure...is to keep him around until the next full moon."

Dan let the words sink in. He picked up the handgun and examined it. After that, he placed it back into Charlie's bag and put that on the coffee table. Then he settled on the other end of the couch. 

"What are you doing?" Darren asked with an incredulous look on his face. 

"Staying the night." He couldn't say that he felt reluctant to leave the small werewolf's side. 

"Like you said, we don't know who he is, and I don't want to leave him alone with the youngsters." He smiled at Morgan and Justin. "And Ronan needs to get home to his family."

He did not say that Darren could stay instead. And his brother didn't offer. 

One by one they left, Ronan and Darren through the front door looking thoughtful and furious respectively, and Justin and Morgan down the hall to where the bedrooms lay. 

Dan could have taken the guest room but he felt sure he would not be able to sleep without having Charlie under his nose. 

He doubted the small wolf would be getting up anytime soon, but it didn't feel right leaving him alone. What if his fever went up? Charlie barely took up a third of the large, L-shaped couch, so Dan grabbed a pillow and a duvet from the spare room and stretched out on the unoccupied space, his feet almost reaching Charlie's. 

Sighing, he got comfortable. 

Never disobey me, Kitty. 

Kit's eyes flew open and he pressed his palms against his mouth to keep from screaming. 

Instead he pressed his eyes shut and gasped for air, focusing on his breathing. He could still see the dark eyes from his dream on the inside of his eyelids, their gaze boring into him. 

After a minute the trembling in his body started to fade and he could look around. He realized that he felt much better. His back seared with every small movement but the pain was sharp and stinging, not pounding, and his fever had broken. He even felt hungry, which he had not done since the accident.

Carefully he pushed himself up to seating, glancing around the room. Maybe he could snatch some food and slip out before they woke up? 

"Hey there. How are you feeling, Charlie?"

Hearing that name was like a punch in Kit's gut. Of all the names... He cursed himself for blurting it out the night before. Kit had told this man way too much. 

His name was Dan, he recalled. 

Now that his fever was gone Kit felt more clearheaded. He looked Dan over properly, noticing his warm brown eyes, short stubble, and tan. His nose looked a bit crooked and flattened, like it had been broken, and there were a few thin, faded scars around his mouth.