not in that way // sam smith

it was difficult to say what we were, what we are. we were never ones for labels.

love is a capacity, different for everyone. a container, a vessel for emotion that was too strong for anything else. mine was immense, and his had seven locks, the ecosystem of his heart was home to an exponentially decreasing carrying capacity. but it was still there, and i found myself both lucky and unlucky to have held the skeleton key in my hand.

we loved each other, theres no doubt about that. the questions are when and how much and why. one second we were inseparable, the next we flipped and repelled one another, like magnets.

it was the fear. it was home in his heart. the largest predator in the ecosystem. he couldn't trust anything or anyone. not even me. that's where our troubles start. because some proverbs are societal pillars. i'll kill whoever said distance makes the heart grow fonder.

he was an enigma. a puzzle, like the ones he so loved to solve. but like any worn game, there's webbing. there are corners cut. once you master it, you abuse it. power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

it started in a theater. ironic. the home of dramatics and falsehood.