day 3 | infinity on high

SOOJIN DOESN'T HAVE any dreams that night

As soon as she wakes up back in her apartment, a wave of calmness washes over her. Sitting up, she leans back against her bed frame and takes in her surroundings.

She recalls the night she had; she rode a bike for the first time, nearly crashed into a tree when they were going down the hill. Taehyung overreacted (in his defense, Soojin was a shit rider) and cried almost the whole way until he'd forced her to let him take the lead. They left the bike somewhere isolated and walked a couple blocks until they reached home.

Soojin laughs at the recollection. That's something to stand out from among all her other bland memories.

After a few minutes, Soojin gets up from her bed and shuffles towards her desk at the other end of the room. She looks through her shelf of books and pulls out a particular one with calligraphic handwriting on the cover page.

She settles down on the seat at her desk and flips through the book until she reaches a page scribbled with her messy handwriting.

Its where she used to write down every new thing she tried after she left home. At the very top of the page are the words, "Get a job" followed by "Get an apartment" with a box at the side to check off.

Soojin moves down to the bottom of her long list and begins to write down several more. And with every new sentence she writes, the image of Taehyung's face comes to her mind followed the sound of his playful laughter, bouncing back and forth inside her head like echoes.

She doesn't even realise she has this big smile on her face until she closes it up and puts the book back where it belongs on the shelf.

Its weird, she thinks. Before everything turned to shit, she used to wake up with the same bland feeling every morning. But this—this is a feeling she can't explain with words. All she knows is that she feels light, as if some of the locks tying chains around her body has been cracked open.

Stretching her arms above her head, she walks out into the living room and stops. Lowering her head, she scrunches her nose at the smell.

God, that smell is terrible.

She had completely forgotten to take a shower when she got home last night because she was just too exhausted to move.

Shaking her head at her own carelessness, Soojin retreats back into her room to retrieve her towel and enter her bathroom. Once inside, a thought pops inside her head and she rushes to the living room to bring back her mini speaker.

Switching on some gentle country songs to fit the mood, she peels her dress off and steps into the shower. She only gets out after a good 15 minutes, having scrubbed her skin thoroughly and washed out the smell of smoke in her hair.

As she stands in front of her bathroom mirror, she rakes her eyes through the person staring back at her.

Tired-looking eyes, chapped lips, acne scars on her skin that can't seem to fade away just yet. She's nothing close to beautiful. She's lived enough years to know that to have beauty means to have way more than what she already does.