On a Bed of Nails

Did you know that you can lay down on a bed of nails without getting stabbed if you do it right? Just gotta be careful, kids, and don't try it at home.
(ง'̀-'́)ง

The distinct odor of cigarette smoke filled the air as Genta walked into Kenshin's room. Coughing once, twice, Genta fought back tears as his eyes began to water. He could almost see the smoke hovering over his head. The room was a whole shade darker than the hallway, and Genta's lungs were paying the price.

"Who's there?" An accusatory shout, and Kenshin's head peeked around the corner, his face painted red with fury. "If it's about the knife, I told you—"

Mid-sentence, he spotted Genta and Kazuha standing at the door. "Oh! Genta-kun, Kazuha-chan! This smoke—sorry, I smoke when I'm stressed." Kenshin went to the window and pulled it open, letting in a blast of warm, wet air. "Ugh. I didn't want you guys to—" He dumped an ashtray into the trash, buried a half-empty cigarette box in his pockets. "This really isn't a good time. Tai-nii just died, you know, and these police everywhere keep nagging me—I'm just sick of it all, you know." He flashed a smile, collapsed into a chair in the corner. "You kids are a sight for sore eyes." He laughed. "Though, in all honesty, I'd be saying that to anyone who wasn't in uniform right about now."

Genta sat on the floor in front of Kenshin, and Kazuha suddenly felt inclined to not be in their conversation. She closed the door behind her and leaned against it, closing her eyes in an attempt to look uninterested.

"You know Heiji-oniisan?" Genta asked.

Kenshin nodded. "How could I not? Tai-nii talked about him all the time—the Meitantei of the West, equal to none but fair to all. He was a die-hard fan of the kid, and after meeting Heiji-kun in person, I can't say I'm surprised he's helping the cops with this case."

"Heiji-oniisan wants to know stuff so he can figure out who killed Akagi-ojisan. He said once we get this stuff he'll be done with the case and tell everyone who the murderer is. Then all the police will leave Kenshin-oniisan alone, and you can get some rest."

"You make quite the offer." Kenshin put his hand on his chin, quirking an eyebrow and a smile. "I've got to say, I like the way you talk a whole lot better than the way those policemen try to weasel info out of me. Go ahead, what does Heiji-kun want to know?"

Genta looked at the slip of paper Mitsuhiko had handed to him. "'Who was targeting Mina-obasan?'"

Kenshin's friendly manner dropped to the floor and shattered. He leaned over, put his face in his hands, and drew a few staggering breaths.

Genta waited in silence, ducking his head ever so slightly so he wouldn't have to meet Kenshin's eyes. He watched the wet spots around Kenshin's feet grow for a few moments, saying nothing and refusing to cave to his more impulsive inclinations.

When he finally spoke, it was soft-- Kazuha could still catch fragments of the police chatter outside. "Kazuha-chan? Be sure to get this, because it will prove Mina-chan has no motive to kill Tai-nii." She nodded, gave a small noise of acknowledgment. Kenshin drew a large, shuddering breath and started to speak.

"These letters would come in the mail. No return address, nothing hand-written. It always had these... pictures. Mina-chan's head was in every one of them. At the mall. In the house. At parties. Even at a KID heist, once. The note would always say to follow its directions or Mina-chan would pay the price. Tai-nii passed it off as a prank for three days. Mina-chan was pushed into the road on the fourth day and almost died the same way her sister did. The warning came in the mail while Tai-nii was waiting with Mina in the hospital, and he's done everything they've asked since that day.