♱•Eight•♱

"To say you're a hundred years old, you're pretty immature" Renjun mutters, watching in the mirror as Jeno pulls the white sheet from his bed and drapes it over him, wandering  around the room like a 'ghost'. A ghost pretending to be a ghost. It was almost laughable. Almost.

"I'm actually 19, once you're dead the ageing process stops." Jeno answers back, his voice muffled by the sheets "besides I'm bored! I finally get a friend and all he wants to do is study!"

This causes Renjun to slam his pen down and turn, only to see that the bedsheet was pooled on the wooden floor and Jeno was nowhere to be seen. He shrugs to himself, turning back around only to let out a small scream when seeing Jeno had somehow taken the place of his reflection in the mirror. "H-how did- you know what never mind, as I was going to say we are not friends"

The ghost pouts a little, resting his head on his hand "sooo, are we more than friends?" He asks, a slight smirk on his lips.

Renjun rolls his eyes, grabbing ahold of the mirror and laying it face down on the desk. He was trying to study yet Jeno couldn't seem to take the hint that he wanted to be left alone.

But obviously whether Jeno got the hint or not, he didn't seem to want to leave Renjun alone.

"You didn't answer my question" the ghost persisted, taking seat on a stool beside Renjun's desk, studying the boy's face as he desperately tried to focus on his homework. "Are you ignoring me?"

"Can you leave me alone!?" Renjun yells, stunning Jeno into silence. Well this was new. Had he really rendered a ghost speechless?

Jeno leans back a little before standing "sorry" he mutters "I guess I've gone so long without company I went a little over the top" he laughs almost nervously, taking a few steps away from where Renjun sat, watching him. "I'll um...leave now"

And just like that he vanished.

A sudden wave of guilt hits Renjun. He hadn't thought of how much Jeno may be valuing their small conversations and arguments more than he had originally realised.
Thankfully he didn't have time to feel bad about it for too long.

His father calls him from down stairs and Renjun was quick to switch his sweatpants for his discarded skinny jeans before leaving the room.
•••••
"This food is amazing!" Renjun's mother beams as she spoons another mouthful of the lasagna into her mouth. Renjun couldn't deny the comment. This food was really good.

The restaurant was pretty small and was around a thirty minute drive away from their house. It seemed like a peculiar place to just 'stumble across on'. Turns out the owners of the restaurant were one of his mothers new friends. It's strange how parents seem to just start a conversation with whoever wherever. If he was being honest he was pretty envious of this skill. It was very clearly not inherited.

The couple that owned the restaurant though seemed like nice enough people. They introduced themselves with bright smiles and comfortable handshakes. The 'Park's' as his mother called them, had a son in the grade below Renjun named Jisung who seemed almost even more shy and awkward than Renjun was. Almost. Not quite at the level yet though.

It was more than obvious that this whole 'treat meal' was a way for Renjun to make a new friend, that friend being the Park's son. He appreciated the help but he would make friends on his own. Besides, he had already formed a great plan to befriend Yangyang and his friends for the remainder of his school life as a way of making himself look less lonely when at school, but he knew the second he left he wouldn't see them again. Well it was pretty doubtful. He had perfectly good friends back in China.

Renjun nibbles on his portion of fries, not really having much of an apatite for a full meal. He occupied himself with stirring the ice cubes around in his glass with the cherry red swirly straw. He'd tried at least a spoonful of both his parents meals, just so they couldn't lecture him on his lack of food consumption.

"Are you okay honey? You've been very quiet" his mother asks, suddenly bringing Renjun back to reality. He slaps a smile onto his face and nods.

"I'm fine, just have a lot on my mind" he mutters and his parents seem to share a silent conversation with each other from just one simple glance towards one another. This was yet another very annoying thing parents could do.

His father sighs a little and rests a hand on Renjun's shoulder which felt oddly heavy. "We're just concerned about you, we want you to make the most of living here so we want you to have a good time at school and make new friends-"

"I've already made a friend" he interrupts, the words falling from his mouth before he could stop them.

Although it was a complete lie and mistake, it seemed to make his parents smile a little.

"Oh really?" His mother asks cheerfully "why don't you invite them over after school some time? Get to know them a little better"

Renjun quickly shakes his head but he knew it was already too late when he saw his fathers face light up at the suggestion. "That's a great idea, they could join us for dinner sometime this week, don't worry we'll have groceries by then".

Renjun opens his mouth to speak but closes it, but then opens it again. His argument was there but he couldn't seem to get it out.

With a sigh of defeat he nods "sure I'll invite them over".

How the heck was he going to get himself out of this one? He could invite Yangyang although he felt like he was already burdening him enough since he was his guide for the week.

There was Jaemin. He lived close by after all and he seemed pretty friendly. But they'd only met and asking anyone to come round to his house for dinner this early in a friendship would be damn right weird. Obviously his parents hadn't thought about this point.

Suddenly, an idea comes to mind. Maybe there was someone he could invite round and introduce as a 'friend'. Although the idea had it's cons, the pros seemed to outweigh them, one of them being his parents getting off his back.