Kimchi

*"What are you watching?"* I asked, popping a pear slice into my mouth.

*"Just some quality enrichment for America's youth."* She stated simply without taking her eyes off the screen.

I took a peek at the tv and raised an eyebrow. *"Are you serious Malie? Keeping up with the Kardashians?"*

*"Woah woah woah, Harri. You got it all wrong. First of all, Its Khloe and Kim take on New York, And secondly, this show is ridiculously addicting!" she said with an meladramatic tone in her voice. I just laughed and went back to eating my breakfast of toast and a pear.

After a few minutes, Malie shut off the Tv and sauntered with her bowl into the kitchen. She was wearing her uniform, a Dark Green "Bob's Surf Shack" shirt and khaki bottoms with slippahs. I  had  a "Mano Surf Club" t- shirt, slippahs, and gym shorts on. Since I started work later than she did today, I decided to go get more groceries before my work started.

After saying bye to Malie, I started towards the market at Princeville. Malie and my house is only a couple minutes away, so I figured I'd save money and just ride my bike instead of driving the Wahine Piki. As I entered further into town, I waved to my friends from surfing and work and also some old family friends, like Mr, Pukani, who ran the Laundry Mat.As I arrived at the market, I hopped off my bike and propped it up against the little white picket fence surrounding the front garden of the store. I didn't bother locking it up, because I knew that no one would steal a bike as old and beat up as mine.

I walked into the little building and gave my eyes a second to adjust to the darker setting. The store was on the smaller side, and was a little cramped, but it had the freshest food in town, so most locals came here for their food.

      After shopping around for a while, I was pretty sure that I had everything on my list of groceries that we needed, but just in case, I decided to check. 

Bananas, check

pears, check;

wonder bread, check;

grape juice, check;

cheese, check;

triscuits, check;

frozen pizza, check;

peanut butter,

     Aha! I nodded to myself, probably looking insane to everyone around me. I began to walk towards where they usually kept the peanut butter, about 2 or so aisles down when I walked straight into something. I stepped back, and, (being the clumsy person that I am,) tripped on my own foot and fell bum first onto the floor, managing to spread all my groceries onto the floor around me. After I had finished my "graceful" landing, I looked up to see what I had run into. I was met by a pair of light blue eyes staring down at me with a look of complete shock across their face.

"I'm really sorry." I stuttered, turning bright shade of crimson.

"Oh, it's quite alright." the guy said with a smile, holding out his hand to pull me up.

"Thanks." I nodded, taking his hand. When I was back on my feet, I took a better look at him. He was a bit taller than me, and had the curliest hair i'd ever seen. For some reason, he looked familiar, but I couldn't put a finger on where I had seen him before. "Sorry about that. I kind of forgot about looking before I walk." I laughed nervously, bending down to pick up my food that was now sprawled out across the floor.

"Oh, don't worry, I do it all the time." he said, bending down to help me pick them up.

I laughed. "Well, I'm glad i'm not alone."

He smiled and helped me finish placing my food back in my basket. "I'm Jay, by the way."

 "Harriet." I nodded back

"Well, its nice to meet you Harriet" he laughed "Say, Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"Have you ever had this before?" he asked, producing a jar of kimchi from his basket.

"Yea, it's Kimchi, right?"

"I think so. Umm, do you know what does it goes well with?"

I paused for a second and bit my lip, "Absolutely nothing. Trust me on that one." I laughed

"Really? It looks good. What is it made of?"

"Fermented cabbage and many more delicious things."

"Oh." he said making a face, "I think i'll pass on that one." he turned and placed the jar back on the shelf.

I smiled. "Anything else you need?" I asked, not realizing how creepy my question sounded until it was until it had already come out of my mouth.

"Umm,  you surf, right?" he said, signaling to my shirt

"Yea."

"Do you know anywhere I could go to learn how to surf?" I asked, awkwardly scratching the back of his head.

"Well, you are in Hawaii." I laughed, "But I teach people how to surf all the time."

"How cool!" he paused, "Do you think you could teach me?"

I was a little surprised, at why he'd want someone he'd just met to teach him, but I just shrugged and said, Sure. How about tommorrow at 9, Nani Cove?"

"Sounds great!" he smiled.

"Alright then, see you tomorrow." I smiled and did a little wave and walked off to the checkout, being careful not to trip again.

__________________________________________________________________________

Sorry  this chapter took so long to upload- I've been crazy busy with school and whatnot. Oh ya, i know that the title has absolutly nothing to do with what happens, but i just liked it)But up(dates should be coming faster :) Please tell me what you think of the story and if you've got any suggestions, please tell me!

Keep being Stupefying!

Amy