Epilogue

Split, Croatia

Four days later

Being shot sucked.

Leo could deal with the pain. He'd had worse. This wasn't bad, as far as injuries went. But Roth was insisting he take it easy, and that just wouldn't do.

His boy Jackson had come through—or, perhaps more accurately, Jackson's girl had. Apparently Charlotte had spotted something even Alexei and Roth had missed in Rinaldi's atlas, and it had blown the whole expedition wide open. Now they had nine leads, each pointing to what they assumed was a different piece of Rinaldi's fortune, and Roth wouldn't even let him look at the damn pieces of paper. Said he wasn't allowed to do anything until he'd had several more days of bed rest. It was fucking ridiculous. It wasn't like he'd been shot in the head—this was just a scratch!

He'd been forced to entertain himself in other ways. Drinking got boring pretty quickly, but he'd found some good sport in saying things to make Charlotte blush—at least until Jackson stepped in and spoiled his fun. Looked like Jackson's girl might be around for a little while longer—even Roth had had to admit that she'd turned out to be a bigger asset than any of them had expected. Leo was never going to let Alexei live down the fact that Charlotte had found something in the atlas that he, their resident cryptographer, had apparently overlooked. Alexei had always been the quiet, gloomy sort, but he'd been especially broody these past few days.

But even teasing his teammates was getting dull. The truth was, there was nothing Leo hated more than feeling useless. It was why he'd joined the Set in the first place—to get off his ass and do something spectacular with his life. This waiting around was going to drive him insane, especially considering there was more than just the Rinaldi expedition to deal with. Tav was still gone, still presumed to have betrayed them, and the time had come to deal with that. And they still hadn't heard anything from Sloane.

That was what was weighing on him the most—Sloane. He'd always felt a little protective of her, even though she'd kicked his ass on a couple of occasions in the past. The girl could definitely take care of herself. But it wasn't like her to disappear without a word.

He'd seen the question in a couple of his teammates' eyes—could she have betrayed them like Tav? But he knew that was impossible. Sloane had her own beef with Nash and his men. There's no way she would've thrown her lot in with them. Something was wrong, and he wanted nothing more than to figure out what.

If Roth would ever let him out of this fucking apartment.

They were on the scent of what might be the greatest haul of their lives and the team was falling apart around them. One thing was clear—things were changing for the Devil's Set. And damn them all to hell if they thought he was going to stay still.

~ * ~