Chapter one ~ Morning before the storm

Canada wakes up to his alarm clock. Canada groaned, he didn't want to go to the meeting today. The meeting was being held in Ottawa, Canada at 3:00 PM today, which means many countries would get lost on their way. America was going to ask where Ottawa was again, and no one will notice him in the world meeting and will call him a lazy country. Canada also has his kids over for the week, a week where they meet up to have some quality family fun, and also have a few small meetings about the state of their provinces. He already has Nunavut (or Kaya) over and he has a busy day of activities scheduled for the rest of the provinces that are arriving today.

Canada was about to get up until he saw a long messy black braid over his nose, and he caught a glimpse of violet eyes, he felt the weight of whoever was jumping on him.

"Oos (Father)! Are you up? I want some of your world's best Johnny cakes (pancakes)!!!" Kaya (pure) said excitedly.

Canada sat up and placed his glasses on his face. "I will be down in a minute to make you pancakes, but why don't you set the table for the two of us so I can give you some points on the family chart," Canada asked, gently to the 6-year-old looking girl in front of him.

Kaya nodded her head excitedly and hurriedly ran down the stairs, eager to earn more points. Once she had gone, Canada giggled softly. Nunavut was so much like her aunt, strong and wild, never listening to a word that others said about them.

Canada stood up and headed down the stairs, he could always change his clothes later. He headed for the big kitchen, which looked more modern than the rest of the house because it was newly built, at least compared to the rest of the house.

Canada saw little Kaya trying to retrieve the plates from the top cupboard. Even with the amount of land she has and the stool, she was too small to reach the cupboard. With a smile, Canada walked up, grabbed the plates, and passed them to Kaya.

"Remember Kaya, ask for help when you need help, the plates could have fallen and hit your head." He chastised the little girl lightly.

"Yes Oos, thank you for helping me!" she exclaimed and ran off to the small table near the window.

Canada went to work and started to make his best pancakes for the little girl and himself.

He started with the batter, mixing the dry ingredients first. He put flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar in a big sky blue bowl, fleur-de-lis patterns circling it.

Then in a smaller red bowl with oak leaves and nuts printed on it, he cracked some eggs and beat them.

Then, in the same bowl, he put two tablespoons of melted butter and mixed them. He poured the wet ingredients to the blue fleur-de-lis bowl and mixed them together, adding some milk while mixing.

After the batter had the consistency of whipped cream, he placed a pan on the stove and turned the dial to turn on the stove. He poured a small amount of vegetable oil on the pan. He was about to pour in the batter when Kaya ran into the room.

"Oos! I finished setting the table" Kaya cheered happily.

"Very good Kaya, I'll add some points to the reward chart." Canada said proudly, walking towards the refrigerator, where the chart was, adding two points under Kaya's name.

"Hey Oos, can I help flip the johnnycakes?" she asked innocently, putting on her best puppy eyes.

"Of course, Kaya, It's fun to have someone in the house to help me make pancakes again." He said happily.

He usually doesn't see most of the provinces and territories because the provinces are older and in their own countries and the territories are also grown up, except for Nunavut of course. Nunavut usually stays up in her country with Métis (or Honi).