Chapter twenty two

The last thing in the world I wanted to do was get up from where I was. Jeremy was so close, yet so far away. After a few seconds of deliberation, I stood up.

"I'll be right back." I promised him, and the look of trust in his face was almost enough to get me to stay and kiss him right then.

I made my way to the front door with my money in hand, fully expecting to hand the pizza delivery guy the money, take the food, and get back to Jeremy as soon as possible.

But that's not what happened.

I opened the door, a polite smile on my face. The girl standing there wore a red top and her curly blonde hair was cascading from a red scrunchie perched on top of her head. She extended the pizza box to me, and I felt her eyes look me up and down.

"Hey..." she purred, looking up at me through her eyelashes.

"Hey," I said back quickly, really not liking the way she was acting. I handed her the money and took the box from her. "Keep the change." I started to close the door when she stuck her foot in the doorway, stopping me from shutting it. I looked up at her, confused.

"Can I come in for some water?" She asked silkily, a smile on her lipstick stained mouth. I opened my mouth to reply if it wasn't for my mother.

"Where are your manners?" She would have asked, smiling at the girl. "Invite the poor thing inside." Reluctantly, I opened the door wider, and the girl walked in.

I led her to the kitchen, wanting nothing more than to just go back to the living room with Jeremy, who I knew was waiting patiently for me.

He's such a sweetheart.

"'Scuse me?" The girl simpered. "Water?"

I almost rolled my eyes, but I knew that if dad were here he wouldn't like that very much. I glanced at her name badge before getting a glass.

"So your name is Chandler?" I asked flatly, literally not caring at all. Regardless, she laughed like I'd just told the funniest joke in the world.

"It's a funny story, actually. I work with two other girls who have the same name as me so we-"

"Wow, that's really cool." I interrupted dully, handing her the cup. She perched herself on my countertop, and it took everything in me to refrain from pushing her off. The last person who sat up there was Jeremy, and he looked at me with sweet trust in his eyes, not the lustful gaze that this girl had.

"Playing hard to get, huh?" She asked, sipping at the water.

"You know, I'm gonna have to say no to this," I stated, gesturing vaguely to her. "You've had your water."

Chandler smirked, placing the cup down and wrapped her arms around my shoulders.

"You don't really want me to go, do you?"

I tried to push her away from me, but her grip was like iron.

"Actually, I really do want you to go." I said as calmly as I could.

"I don't even know your name." She pouted, and I seriously just wanted to force her out of my house, but that's not how I was raised.

"It's Jacob. My friends call me Jake." I looked her dead in the eyes. "So you can call me Jacob."

"Well then, Jake..."

"It's Jacob to you."

"Feisty. Okay, I can work with that."

Before I could even process it, this girl, this...this complete stranger, smashed her blood red lips against me so hard that I felt her teeth hit mine.

Instantly, I shoved her away from me and I succeeded in separating our lips, but she just pulled me with her and I found myself on top of her, her red nailed hand curled in a death grip around the collar of my T-shirt.

"Let go." I managed.

"Well I never!" My mother would have exclaimed.

"Leave our home this instant!" My father would have commanded.

In reality though, neither of them were there. I was alone.

I couldn't speak. I couldn't move. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't think. This wasn't the breathtaking joy that Jeremy gave me, but complete and total fear.

I heard something by the doorway and I looked up.

Jeremy stood there staring at us, wrapped in one of my blankets.

From his perspective, I had just come onto some random pizza delivery girl while he was in the other room.