Chapter 4

The celebration was like none Clarke had ever experienced. She had seen a few celebrations while she was in Ton DC but nothing like this. While she was with Torrel it was risky for her to venture to the nearby village so she never get to experience any. Before the feasting began, the queen announce the news of staying neutral from the upcoming war and that Wanheda will be staying with them. A roar of cheers that swelled above the village centre was not something she expected, but Lena was quick to inform that the news of Wanheda already saving her twice and the life of their beloved training's master was spreading like wildfire. The raucous cheer rose and she blushed nearly purple. She could see Lena laughing at her discomfort. She shrugged and smiled, knowing she would get over it eventually. She was given the honour of eating with the queen so there was no reprieve from being the centre of attention. It was not until the meal was passed around the table that she realized some of the foods were completely foreign to her. She asked a lot of questions and tried many different things. She was unsure how to act about drinking the wine since she had little to no effect at all. Seeing everyone drinking, she decided to act light headed.

She had no idea how, but the queen seem to see through her act. Soon after dinner, the queen whisper with a voice just loud enough for her alone to hear. "Thank you for saving Kante earlier and also bringing back Lena safely. Have breakfast with me tomorrow. We have much to discuss." Clarke swallowed and gave her a nod.

"Now, I believe Lena is looking for you. Go...go have fun and make some friends." Clarke smiled shyly before making her way off the dais.

****

The next morning, Clarke woke up breathing heavily and sweating. Her nightmares were becoming more frequent the past few days. She could only hope it will get better ones she gets settled.

By the time she made it to the queen's chamber, she was still feeling a bit shaky. She was let through by the guards without any hassle. The queen took one look at her and had her settle on a chair. She gave Clarke a sly smile. "You looked like you're having a hangover. And I'm pretty sure it is not an act. Though I can't say the same for last night while you were drinking."

Clarke cleared her throat trying to buy time to think how to answer. "I didn't sleep well last night, my queen."

"Just call me Luna. After all you are Wanheda. And it seems a little weird that you address Heda by her name and still address me by my title." She smiled seeing her blushed purple at the comment.

Luna poured them some water and settled back in her chair. "So, tell me more about your training with your Torrel."

Relief at the change of topic, Clarke explained all about Torrel's training, about how he taught her to hunt from trees, and how to adjust her aim for moving targets and to compensate for the wind. She shared the first time he showed her the obstacle course. She was meant to go through it running while he counted aloud. She had to hit every target, some from trees, and make it back to him before he reached one hundred. Luna seemed impressed.

"So he taught you to climb trees?"

"Well, not exactly. He had a bad leg and can't walk without his walking stick. He told me what I should do and gave me pointers, but I had to teach myself. I can hunt and skin just about anything, and I am not afraid of heights. Each month after the first obstacle course, he would change the shooting course to make it more difficult."

"So, tell me about the last time you missed a target." Luna cocked her head at her. "Have you ever missed a target since then?"

Clarke thought about it and nodded her head. "It was after the healer told us that Torrel's sickness was getting worst and he couldn't do anything about it. I was really sad for a long time and finally Torrel told me to get my bow and go outside." She took a sip of water. "He started counting and I took off through the woods. When I returned, he was on one hundred and seventy-two. We went out and looked at all the targets. I hit every one, but not a centre shot. Then he told me I could not be sad forever. I told him that I would be sad because I don't know how not to be. We argued back and forth. He did everything he could to make me madder and madder. Finally he stopped and handed my arrows back. Then he started counting again. I took off again and on my second pass I made it back in my fastest time. He was only on seventy-nine when I stopped in front of him." Clarke took another deep swallow of water, vividly remembering the lesson of that day. "That time when we walked the woods, I saw I had missed all the targets, every single one. Completely missed. We collected all my arrows and then he led me to a big log and sat down. I remember word for word what he told me. 'Clarke, your emotions will always control how you fly. Sadness will make you slow and imprecise. Anger will make you fast and careless. Never aim an arrow when you do not have complete control.'"

The Girl with many Namesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें