Chapter 24: I've Got A World Of Chances For You (part1)

*Haley's P.O.V.*

I skipped up the stairs merrily, very happy with the little black box in my hand, grabbing for the door knob. I missed, the door swinging itself open to reveal an obviously guilt-stricken Louis on the other side. My hand just kind of flew forward into the open air, taken aback by the lack of a handle, and I stumbled forward. A pair of strong hands caught me and heat rose to my cheeks as I realized who they belonged to. I gently pulled my torso away from his grip, unable to look into his turquoise eyes, which were swimming with sorrow and remorse. It's not supposed to be this way, I thought to myself as I stepped aside, letting him through the doorway. I dared to look up at him through my curly brown tendrils, sneaking a quick glance as he walked past me into his own room. He turned around and gave me a small, sad smile, which I returned, slight relief settling over me. I took two steps into the room, the door barely shutting behind me before Niall spoke up from his Indian style perch on the bed.

"Please don't let it be awkward between you two," he requested in a surprisingly light tone. I smiled at him, rolling my eyes as I approached.

"Too late," I joked humorlessly, passing him as I went to put the box in the bathroom. All the while I was over-thinking the short encounter with Louis. I sure hoped things wouldn't remain that way. Louis was not a friend I could lose. Once that was all taken care of, I reentered the bedroom and found the Irish boy lounging with his hands behind his head. He brought them out and I grinned stupidly, falling into his open arms with a natural ease. I buried my head in his chest, groaning as his body shook with laughter.

"Aw, is someone grumpy?" he teased playfully. I raised my head and stared into his liquid cobalt blue eyes, holding his gaze for a moment before quickly slipping my tongue out of my mouth and flopping myself around so my back was to him. Slightly muscle toned arms snaked them around my waist, melting me due to my hyper-sensitive emotions. I smiled and closed my eyes, leaning into him as I took his hands in mine and began rubbing little circles with my thumb. His warm breath cascaded across the sensitive skin of my neck, sending chills down my back as goose bumps rose on the surface of my flesh. His lips came in contact with my neck, fucking with my unstable emotions. "I love you, Haley," he murmured.

"I love you too," I whispered back. "But the difference is, I don't deserve yo-" I began, only to be shushed. I silenced myself, not wanting to be a mood killer. I was also party silenced by the pain in my stomach. Fucking cramps, I thought bitterly. I must've cringed or something, because Niall slid one of his hands down to my lower stomach and began rubbing small, gentle circles, all while still holding my hands in his other one and still kissing my neck. Aww, I thought with a giddy grin, my emotions swinging like a pendulum. That's so sweet! But, as usual for this time of month, my happiness wilted quickly as my mind began to race. "Niall?" I whispered, new questions forming in my cranium.

"Mmm?" he responded softly.

I turned around in his arms so I could look into his eyes. They tinted with worry as they met my sad gaze. "What were you and Louis talking about before I came in?" I asked. He sighed, kissing my nose. My face routinely crinkled up, causing him to grin a little bit.

"Nothing, everything's fine princess. I don't want to make the mood all sad," he dismissed, my heart twisting in guilty pleasure as he called me princess. I'm definitely no princess, I contradicted mentally.

"And I don't want to bleed out of my-" I began to retort before he cut me off.

"Okay, okay, you can spare me the gory details of feminism," he responded, making me giggle and smile victoriously. He sighed, his eyes darkening the slightest shade. "He was just apologizing," he explained. "We talked it out and everything is fine." My lower lip jutted out and I opened my mouth to protest, but he just pressed his against mine, shutting me up with a sweet kiss. I leaned into it, suddenly forgetting everything I had just been so focused on. "Don't worry about it," he cooed, stroking my hair and staring deep into my eyes as he rested his forehead on mine. I smile gratefully, enjoying the moment. I leaned in for another kiss, one thought in my head:

You only get so many chances.

*Sydney's P.O.V.*

I lay in my old bed, staring across the room at my old Kenny Chesney poster that still hung on the closet door, which was painted with cheap, chipping white paint. The dresser was still cluttered with old notes, perfume bottle, and other random, stupid knick-knacks that each contained its own little story and memory. Chester the Unicorn (my first and always favorite stuffed animal) still sat on his perch atop the bookshelf, smiling down at me, guarding me from monsters that lurked in the shadows. I smiled, inhaling the scent of home. I hadn't gotten much sleep, due to my racing mind. I was replaying the conversation Daniel, mama, and I had had at dinner.

Forks scraped against plates, filling the empty silence. What a wonderful way to start the conversation, I remarked mentally. I quickly scolded myself for my snarkiness, reminding myself to stay positive. "So Sydney," Daniel started, breaking the ice, "I heard you live across the pond with your boyfriend?" I blushed, a bit embarrassed that that was the first question. I nodded with a small grin though. Liam was usually my favorite talking point. He was the center of all my thoughts, and I could go on for hours just about his personality alone.

"Well, I have an apartment in England," I explained. "I don't actually live with them." He nodded and smiled, taking on fatherly attributes as he was clearly relieved I didn't live with my boyfriend. It kind of made me smile, actually.

"Them?" he repeated, thick sandy eyebrows crinkling in curiosity. Oh right. He doesn't know I'm dating a member of One Direction. I remembered.

"Him and his band mates. I'm dating Liam Payne, from One Direction."

To be continued...