Chapter 20: The Roof Caved In And The Truth Came Out

Start from the beginning

"One last time," he whispered in a barely audible tone, the aroma of his minty breath making my head spin. "Since we never will again." I didn't say anything; I couldn't. I just closed my eyes, breathless as I felt his soft lips collide with mine for the last time. It wasn't rough, and no my body was not slammed against the door in a fit of lust. It was sweet, a friendly goodbye kiss. (Okay, well it was a bit more than friendly.) It only lasted a few seconds, but I savored the adrenaline while it lasted. Finally, his lips retracted from mine and I stared into his turquoise eyes, knowing that that kiss would remain in this room forever.

"I-I should go," I sputtered, my hand grappling for the doorknob. A small grin spread across his lips as I found it, my knees going weak as my sweaty palm gripped the knob and twisted it.

"Good luck!" Louis chirped, sarcastic cheer in his voice. I rolled my eyes, a slight ghost of a smirk playing across my raw, tingling lips.

"Gee, thanks," I responded, back out through the door and slamming it in his stupidly adorable beaming face. I sighed in a weird mix of fear and content.

"Good luck with what?" I jumped and gasped, clutching my pounding chest as I whirled around. My eyes widened a bit and I tried to gulp down the lump in my throat, failing miserably. His voice just made it worse, and the innocent curiosity in his blue orbs killed me.

"Nialler, can I talk to you?" I requested shakily, doing my best to even my breathing as I took one of his hands in mine. His eyebrows scrunched together in and obvious mix of confusion and worry. He looked so adorable it hurt. He didn't say anything, just wrapped his hand around mine and led us to the bedroom. My heart rate increased again, and I began to feel sick as breath came with amplified difficulty. I closed the door behind us and stared down at our clasped hands, wracking my brain for the right words. There are no right words, I realized.

"Haley, love, why are you shaking?" he asked lightly, craning his neck to look into my downward pointed eyes. I averted his gaze, knowing I wouldn't be able to look him in the eyes.

"'Cause I did something bad..." I trailed off, my voice already trembling. That's not an understatement or anything, I scolded myself bitterly. A long, pale, gentle finger gingerly lifted my face up, forcing me to stare into two hypnotic pools of blue. They somehow had the power to make me feel this array of emotions that I couldn't even explain. They drew me in, made my heart clench as they lured the truth out of my mouth. "Louis and I kissed."

It was as if the walls were closing around me. Everything paused, then proceeded in slow motion. The perfect cerulean glass shattered, his eyes drowning in confusion then swimming in realization and hurt. Simultaneously, tears of guilt began pricking at my eyes. I never wanted to do this. I never wanted him to hurt, and I most definitely never wanted to be the cause of it. "I'm so sorry," I whispered, bracing myself for the worst. But after a moment of silence filled only by unnerving, ragged breathing, the corners of Niall's lips rose slightly. I cocked my head to the side faintly, perplexed by his sad grin. "Why are you smiling?" I questioned, voice still choked.

"Well I guess I shouldn't be surprised," he explained, just clouding my understanding even further. He sighed, taking my hands in his. He looked me in the eyes and I searched them desperately, so many questions shooting through my mind. "I mean, it's normal for friends such as you and Louis to feel that way towards one and other at least once in your life. In fact, it would be abnormal if you didn't." I scrunched my face up again. I got what he meant, but why wasn't he upset?

"So... you're not upset?" I asked slowly, being cautious with my words. He sighed lightly through his nose, and that sad smile that made me want to stab myself reappeared on his beautiful, perfect face.