Chapter 3: Summer

3 Summer

I couldn't erase my smile as I closed the front door of my house half an hour later. The expected events in my day had completely shifted, leaving me with a racing pulse and, for the first time in forever, an eager outlook for tomorrow. And I had Sebastian to thank for it. He was a nice guy; honest, genuine, and I had to admit, attractive. It was a hard combination to find in a man these days. Granted, I'd known him all of three hours, so only time would tell if my first impression remained intact, but I had a feeling deep inside that the best was yet to come.

After locking the front door and slinging my purse on the hall tree, I padded toward the kitchen, turning on lights as I went. Sebastian's sweater hung heavy on me in the warm house, and I pulled it over my head, breathing deep the Gain and cologne smell that clung to it before folding it. Another smile touched my lips as I eyed the cross emblem on the front. I hadn't even noticed it. With a shake of my head, I carried it to the laundry room to wash it, then returned to the kitchen.

Once I had Chinese take-out leftovers in the microwave, I returned to the hall and dug through my purse to retrieve my phone, and scowled at the line of texts and calls from my brother. On a subtle groan, I called him as I removed my food from the microwave and pulled the soy sauce out of the fridge, drowned my cashew chicken in it.

"I tried calling you like five times." My brother answered in lieu of a greeting, and I rolled my eyes as I sat down at the island with my leftovers.

"Yeah, sorry, I put my phone on silent before group and forgot to take it off."

"All night?"

"I said I was sorry."

He let out a long breath that sounded like static in my ear. "Well, anyway, how was the group?"

I shrugged as I prodded my rice with my fork. "Okay, I guess. Kind of boring."

"So, you're going to quit?"

"I didn't say that. I'm going back next week, er, week after next, since Thanksgiving is next week and all." I didn't tell him my motivation was due to a handsome man.

He let out another breath, softer this time. "I appreciate you trying it out. Give it a few weeks, and if you still hate it, then maybe we can try a private counselor."

I rolled my eyes. "I already told you, I don't need counseling. I know you're just trying to find me an outlet on some level ground, but you can stop. I didn't need it after Mom and Dad, I didn't need it when I was sick, and I definitely don't need it now that I'm NEC."

For several moments, he was quiet, which meant I'd either pissed him off or offended him, neither of which I had intended.

"Look, Jer..."

"I'm just trying to help, you know." He interrupted, his tone curt. "With Mom and Dad gone, I'm responsible for you."

"I'm over thirty, Jerry. I'm an adult. You don't need to babysit me."

"That's not what I'm doing."

"Oh, really?"

"No. I'm just..." He paused to exhale again. "You would go if Mom asked you. You would leap from a bridge if she asked you. Can you not do me the same courtesy? If not to benefit yourself, then for me? It gives me peace of mind to know that you know that you're not alone."

I sighed heavily and set my fork down to run a hand through my hair. "I know that. I told you I wasn't quitting, so... is that good enough for you?"

"Yeah..." He cleared his throat and fell silent for a minute before he spoke again. "Well, anyway, I was wondering if you could do me a favor."