Chapter 24 - Female Suitors

"You're looking good, my friend." Everin said standing at the doorway of Kevin's room.

Three manservants were running around the room helping the Earl get ready for the day while Kevin and Everin were speaking. Kevin stared into the full body mirror inspecting the design of the ruby long-sleeved tunic on him. He had gone through four shirts and only this one pleased him. The golden pattern embellishments around the collar and the sleeves gave the tunic a rather dazzling look compared to the other duller and darker designs.

Kevin lifted his arms while the manservants wrapped a leather belt around his waist. The leather belt was decorated with flower-like metal embroidery and the fancy buckle secured the accent of the outfit. One of the manservants brought over an obsidian long coat and Kevin extended his arms out as his manservants pulled the coat over his shoulders. One can say that Kevin has adjusted to his new lifestyle. He was once a humble manservant of an evil baron, but overnight, he became a son of a Marquis. He didn't have to lift a finger around the manor and was pampered by the servants. And it was still safe to say that Kevin's underwear was still more expensive than all the clothes that Everin was wearing.

"I'm nervous. What if I mess up or do something stupid? My father will be so disappointed in me." Kevin said without breathing.

"Mister Park will not be disappointed in you. You are his son who hasn't returned home in almost a decade. If anything, he is the happiest man alive. If you ran his horse into a tree, he will still forgive you." Everin reassured him.

These past few days, Kevin has been spending his mornings learning how to ride a horse. He learnt all the basic while working for Lord Bullock, the only thing he lacked at that time was the horse. Kevin took deep breathes to calm himself down.

"This is for ye." Kevin said handing Everin an expensive looking tunic.

Everin held up the forest green and extravagant tunic that Kevin handed to her. It was the complementary color of his ruby red tunic. The golden strips of pattern were like the designs on the tunic that Kevin was wearing.

"I was right. Green suits ye better against ye softer complexion." Kevin said matching the tunic against Everin's good looking face.

He inspected the belts on the table, trying to select one that matched Everin. Hold on a second. Why was Kevin selecting an outfit for her? Was Kevin expecting Everin to accompany him to the afternoon meeting with the nobles and Mister Park's friends?

"Are you trying to buy me with an expensive tunic?" Everin asked not knowing that Kevin cheaply regarded their friendship as the same value of a shirt.

"Everin, father and I are meeting with his friends and the nobles today, ye should join us." Kevin suggested. "Ye are also his son, and it will make me very happy to see my brother standing next to me."

"Adopted son." Everin corrected. "I respect Mister Park's decision to take me in, but this kind of lifestyle doesn't suit me. I made it clear that I don't like crowds or attending parties."

"At least attend for my sake. I need the moral support." Kevin pleaded.

"Why do I feel like it's not your father that you are nervous about?" Everin said sensing that Kevin was acting weird. "Spill it before I break your fingers."

There was no point of keeping it a secret from Everin. She read him like a book.

"He is finding us female suitors." Kevin confessed.

"What!?" Everin's jaw dropped.

Wasn't that a bit too early to decide considering that they only returned home several days ago? Kevin wasn't expecting this either. He was horseback riding with his father and suddenly, his father mentioned how he wanted to see both his sons get married before leaving this world. Tonight, he arranged a dinner for Kevin and Everin to hopefully meet the daughters of the noblemen from the clan.