Chapter Four: Toddler Turmoil

Water sloshed under her sandals, cooling her aching feet as she stared out across the clear waters. They were at the park, though it was a different one to the last. Slightly smaller feet dangled next to hers, pale toes barely brushing against the water's surface. Tsuki stared at the unfrozen lake beside her, evidently thinking about what had happened yesterday – exactly like Risa was doing. She'd plummeted down into icy waters just like the ones in front of her only hours before, and everyone remembered it... well, if the eyes boring into her back were any indication.

"You OK, Tsuki-chan?" Risa asked, after a few more minutes of peaceful silence, quietly wondering what the other girl was thinking. What did three-year-olds need to think about, anyway?

She nodded. "Un."

"Wanna run around again for a bit?" she questioned. It wasn't like they could play ninja with the others anyway. Most of the boys involved didn't want the girls playing, like the little half-blind idiots they were no doubt going to grow up to become, and the others were content to either sit quietly on the side or maybe play in the sandbox, should they feel adventurous enough. The other girls at the orphanage were another story entirely. Since when did three-year-olds gossip? Risa wondered, half amused, half alarmed at the situation. Admittedly, it bothered her a bit, especially since the topic of what's hot seemed to be focused entirely on her. She'd struck up a quick friendship with the girl with the freaky hair and eyes, whilst managing to get the now not-so secret gate at the back of the garden shored up, so it was safe to say she wasn't well-liked. Risa shrugged. Kids would be kids. She ignored the irony of that statement. No way in hell was she marking herself with the same label as them. She wasn't a kid – she was a fully grown adult trapped in the body of a child. That was in a completely different ballpark. But she was adjusting, and that was the main thing.

"Sure," Tsuki chirped, humming happily as they both stood. Risa led the way, ducking into the trees, keeping an eye on her friend to make sure she didn't get into any trouble. Though, knowing her luck, she'd probably be the one more likely to end up in a sticky situation. She'd woken up only a day ago, and she'd already had one near-death experience.

'All good practice for later on in life,' Inner added snidely.

Risa rolled her eyes, trampling through the forest at record speed on her short and chubby legs. She needed as much exercise as she could get, given her pitiful state, and what better way to do that than by running about the park? It didn't seem all that suspicious either, much less so than a three-year-old doing press-ups and sit-ups. She had no desire to attract any attention to herself, especially when she didn't know who was watching her. After all, she had no idea about Shimura Danzo and his whereabouts. Canon Danzo had been awfully fond of kidnapping gifted orphans and training them into baby assassins, a profile which she now, unfortunately, fit into. Risa hardly wanted the start of her new life to be filled with brainwashing and other manipulative tricks. The thought had a ball of anxiety and fear stabbing through her like a knife to the gut. That wouldn't be fun in the slightest that was for sure. Not to mention she'd be way more likely to get killed. Danzo's privatised army was disposable, all for 'the good of Konoha'.

"Risa! Risa! Come and look at all the pretty flowers!" Tsuki tugged at her sleeve, pulling her towards a clearing filled with lavender and a few other assorted flowers. "They're soooooo pretty, aren't they?"

"Yeah," she said, nodding. The lavender bushes were oddly tall, especially to her, considering they were both only three-years-old. Purple buds were level with the tops of their chests, and Risa knew if they sat down they'd be perfectly concealed in a sea of purple and green. Hidden from this mad, mad world. "Wanna run around here for a bit? Or d' ya wanna sit down and look at flowers?"