Chapter 9- Potions with Snape

***ARABELLA'S POV

I walk next to Hermione as Percy led us through doorways hidden behind sliding panels and hanging tapestries. But for some reason we come to a sudden halt.

A bundle of walking sticks was floating in mid-air ahead of them and as Percy took a step towards them they started throwing themselves at him.

"Peeves," Percy whispered to the first-years. "A poltergeist." He raised his voice, "Peeves - show yourself."There was a pop and a little man with wicked dark eyes and a wide mouth appeared, floating cross-legged in the air, clutching the walking sticks.

"Oooooh" he said, with an evil cackle. "Ickle firsties! What fun!"

He swooped suddenly at them. We all ducked as we swooped at us.

"Go away, Peeves, or the Baron'll hear about this, I mean it!" Percy barked at the poltergeist.

"You want to watch out for Peeves," said Percy, as Peeves left them. "The Bloody Baron's the only one who can control him, he won't even listen to us Prefects. Here we are." He says as we come to a portrait of a lady wearing a pink dress.

"Password?" She asks.

"Caput Draconis," said Percy, and the portrait swung forward to reveal a round hole in the wall. We all entered though it with ease but Neville needed a leg up and we found ourselves in the Gryffindor common room, a cosy, round room full of squashy armchairs. Percy directed us, through one door to our dormitory.

Hermione and I say goodnight and we lay in our beds as we try and fall asleep.

***************************************************

Our first week at Hogwarts went by very quickly. We had to on every Wednesday study the sky at night with telescopes and learn the names of all the planets. We also had Herbology with Professor Sprout and Transfiguration with Professor Mcgonagall where we had to transfigure a match into a needle; Hermione and I were the only ones that did it.

I have talked with Ron and Harry but not as much as I would have wanted; I don't really talk to them because Ron doesn't like Hermione.

I talk with Fred and George more because when we are in the Common Room, Hermione is usually is doing homework that isn't due till next week so I talk with the twins.

So today is our first Friday at Hogwarts. I follow Hermione as she walks to the Great Hall with Parvarti and Lavender who are the other girls in our dorm. Once we reach the Great Hall we sit three seats down from Ron and Harry.

"What have we got today?" I hear a Harry ask Ron.

"Double Potions with the Slytherins." Ron replied. I let out a frustrated sigh as George sits next to me with Fred following with Angelina; a girl who is in their year.

"What's up with you?" George asks.

"I have Potions with Snape." I groan.

"It won't be that bad." He comforts me.

"That's only the half of it, it's also double Potions with the Slytherins." I sigh.

"Oh... Good luck, Snape always favours them." George says as he stands up to go follow his twin who has walked off on him.

I turn my attention back to Hermione who is quickly talking to Parvarti and Lavender.

"I really looking forward to potions." She tells them. They obviously don't care because they have bored looks on their faces.

"I'm not, apparently he can be quite mean and he also favours the Slytherins." I say.

"I doubt it." Hermione tells me.

"Come on, we better start making our way down to the dungeons." I get up and look at Hermione waiting for her to get up. My eyes quickly flicker to Ron and Harry to see Ron stuffing the food down.

Hermione finally gets up and see leads the way down to the dungeons. In the dungeons it was a lot colder then the rest of the castle and the stone walls had floating jars with pickled animals in them.

Once everyone made there way to potions, Snape started to take the register stopping at Harry's name., "Ah, yes," Snape said softly, "Harry Potter. Our new - celebrity." Two fat boys and a boy with white-blonde hair from Slytherin start to snigger at Snape's comment.

"You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion- making. As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the deli- cate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses ... I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death - if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." Snape spoke quietly.

Hermione was on the edge of her seat looking desperate.

Snape then started to ask Harry numerous questions that he was unable to answer and that I wasn't interested to listen to.

We got into pairs; I am with Hermione and we have to make a simple potion to cure boils.

Snape walked around in his long black cloak, watching us weigh dried nettles and crush snake fangs, criticising almost everyone except the boy with white-blonde hair, whom he seemed to like. He was just telling everyone to look at the perfect way he had stewed his horned slugs and next thing he knows clouds of acid green smoke and a loud hissing filled the dungeon. Neville had some- how managed to melt Seamus's cauldron into a twisted blob and their potion was seeping across the stone floor, burning holes in people's shoes. Within seconds, everyone including myself are standing on our stools while Neville, who had been covered in the potion when the cauldron collapsed, moaned in pain as red boils sprang up all over his arms and legs.

"Idiot boy." Snarled Snape, clearing the spilled potion away with one wave of his wand. "I suppose you added the porcupine quills before taking the cauldron off the fire?" Neville let out a whimper as boils started to pop up all over his nose.

"Take him up to the hospital wing." Snape spat at Seamus.

Snape then felt the need to take points of Gryffindor from some stupid reason and blaming it on a Harry.

A/N: sorry I took so long to update, I have been busy. This is really just a filler chapter my next chapter with be flying class so I'll start that tomorrow. I'm sorry this chapter was so bad :s

Amber

xx