Later Awake

Diego guards Luke's sleep. How are we supposed to tell you? He wonders not for the first time. He hears a knock before someone enters.

"Hi." Andre whispers. "How is he?"

"He's well."

"Do you want a coffee?" Andre asks offering him one.

"Sure. Thanks."

"You're welcome. I'm glad he finally woke up."

"Me too."

They sit in silence for a few minutes. "He'll wake up soon too." Diego whispers into the silence.

"Yes." Andre replies.

"He loves him." Diego signals toward Luke.

Andre nods.

"It took him a while to calm down after he realized where he was. I think he would have gone to him if he hasn't been so weak."

"They planned on telling us over dinner today and we would have finally met." Diego smiles. "I told him we could still have dinner and they could both tell us."

"I like dinner." Andre states. He smiles a little.

Diego nods in confirmation.

"How do you think they will react?"

"Maybe better than I did. I'm sorry I didn't believe you. I think I knew deep down that it was true without the proof. I just didn't want to believe that I hadn't realized it when he was a baby."

"They were practically bald." Andre states.

"I hadn't spent much time with him and my wife after the hospital. I had a problem at the bakery that kept me there. It was our livelihood."

"He won't blame you. He's a good kid."

Who is he talking about?

"I should have been able to notice. I had trouble keeping him quiet after my wife died. I thought it was because somehow he knew he had lost his mother. He had actually lost both of his parents."

"Don't make yourself feel guilty." Diego whispers at seeing the haunting look on Andre's face.

"You should go see him."

"I don't want to leave him alone."

"I'll stay. You can go see him."

After a moment of hesitation Diego nods and stands. "I'll be back."

"I expect you too." Andre smiles.

A few minutes later, Luke stirs. Then, opens his eyes. He frowns until he recognizes who is in front of him. "Andre?"

Andre snaps his face toward him. He nods. He feels like he got caught doing something he is not supposed to. He has interacted with him plenty of times. But now you know. He thinks to himself.

"How's Hunter?"

Andre remembers what Diego says. Wanting to confirm it, he states, "You love him."

Luke splutters, blushes, and answers, "Yes."

Andre smiles. "He's getting better. He'll be happy to know you're doing well when he wakes up."

"Is he really doing well?"

"Yes."

"I want to see him."

"I know. Diego told me."

He's in a first name basis with dad. "Where is he?"

Andre takes a moment to decide what to tell him before deciding to go with the truth. "He's with Hunter."