A Good Boy: Scene 1

St. Vincent Dog Pound. 5 cages lined up near each other. All but one containing a dog within it. The environment is brightly lit. Maxi, the youngest, is wagging his tail in delight and cheerful. Ripley is a more mature dog and is still lying down on his side not facing the audience. Russell is an older dog, trying his best to stand but lays constantly to stop from hurting himself from discomfort. Bradley is near the age of Ripley, but staring intensely at the audience, a scarf on his neck.

MAXI:Today is the day guys! It is the day! Today one of us is finally leaving!

RIPLEY:

Maxi, You have been saying that for two weeks straight.

MAXI:
No, NO! I can feel it! Today is going to be special!

RIPLEY:

 YOU HAVE SAID THE SAME THING TWO WEEKS STRAIGHT!

RUSSELL:
Come on Ripley, let the puppy have hope. There ain't much more to do here but hope and dream anyhow.

RIPLEY:
You are going to feed into his delusion that someone actually wants us? If someone wanted us we would not be here anyway.

MAXI:
Your positivity is overwhelming today Ripley!

RIPLEY:
Yes.

MAXI:
But I know..... there is something pulsing inside me that tells me that today is going to be more special than the others.

RIPLEY:
That could easily be heart-worms.

MAXI:
I am going to begin ignoring you, Ripley.

RIPLEY: 
Thank you.
RUSSELL:
Hush now, people are coming in. There is nothing more intimidating than a whole room of barking dogs.

BRADLEY:
Yas, today I am gonna unleash my new trick. Check this out [stands on hind legs] Irresistible. Cute. Stunning....... Bradley.

MAXI:
Ah, I am jealous! I do not know any tricks...

BRADLEY:
Of course not, you are just a puppy now. You're still small,... resistible, not cute, not stunning..... Not Bradley.

MAXI:
I wish I could be more like you Bradley.

BRADLEY:
One day pup, a lot of people cannot even fathom Bradley's Travels, Bradley's experiences, Bradley's, BRADLEY'S-

RIPLEY:
(Cutting off) here, with us. Maybe I am as fancy as "Bradley" because we are on vacation at the same resort.

BRADLEY: 
Bradley is on vacation, Ripley is left in a car, in a sweater, in the desert, with a muzzle made of chocolate and a bravado made of ice. Both will melt and you'll be reduced to nothing under the blazing sun that is known as Bradley.
(They growl at each other)