XV - Blood Must Have Blood I

Back again in the harvest chamber, anxiety ate at my mind. Too many times I'd been in this room, all under horrible circumstances. Seeing the cages filled with wounded, tired grounders, the air filled with angry, desperate moans, it all made me want to puke. But I pushed through my horror. Letting them all go was the most important thing. We had an army on the inside and the outside of the mountain, but only if we could release everyone in here.

With keys we'd stolen from the guards, Bellamy and I began to unlock as many of the cages as we could. It was slow going, and the shouting of the Grounders and the rattling of their cages wasn't helping my shaking hands. I'd only managed to make it through four cages before I had to take a break to calm myself down.

"Too much noise!" Bellamy cried. If the Mountain Men heard us in here, everything would fall through.

The girl who'd been in the cage beside Bellamy and helped me kill Lovejoy screamed something in Trigedasleng to all the Grounders and a hush fell over the room.

"Okay, how do we do this," she asked us.

"There's an army outside going for the main door," Bellamy explained. "When they get it open, all hell will break loose. That is the signal for my friends to come here and then-"

He cut off as feedback crackled over the PA system. My heart thudded as I waited anxiously to hear what was to be said. When it was Cage's voice that came through, my blood turned to ice, and I balled my hands into fists.

"My fellow citizens, this is your President speaking. I have news to share with you that will change all our lives forever. For ninety seven years, Mount Weather has been our home. It's kept us alive, but it's also held us captive. Most of us have made peace with what we've had to do to survive. We've done these things for one reason. So that our people could some day return to the ground."

I exchanged a panicked glance with Bellamy. I had a sinking feeling I knew where this was going.

"That day is today," Cage announced.

"He's going public," Bellamy murmured, his voice laced with horror.

"Before my friend, Lorelei Tsing, was murdered by the Outsiders still at large in this mountain," Cage continued, "she found a cure. It was in their bone marrow."

My stomach dropped. Bellamy seemed to have the same thought as me, and shoved the keys to the Grounder girl. We had to get out of here and defend our friends, because Cage was trying to turn his people against each other. They'd eventually find all my friends. She could finish releasing her fellow Grounders while we rounded up our people and sent them here. Where, ironically, they'd be safe.

"This has been the dream of our people since the bombs," Cage's voice continued, echoing through all the hallways Bellamy and I raced through. "But to reach it now, I need your help. The forty four criminals that irradiated level five killing fifteen of our people, are now keeping us from this dream. Although we've repaired our home we can never replace the lives that were so viciously taken from us."

Another burst of fury exploded in my veins, pumping my adrenaline even faster. That was all in self defense. Cage was the one who'd really been viciously killing people. Namely, my friends.

"Yet as hard as it is to believe," Cage said, "there are those among us who would help the people who did this. And I am speaking to you now."

My heart thudded ever faster, and I nearly skidded into a wall as we rounded a corner. God, this was all going to shit. We were running out of time.

"If you truly want to end blood treatments once and for all, then the forty-four murderers you're now hiding are the key to doing that. You have one hour to turn them in without punishment," Cage threatened. "After that, we'll be forced to consider you enemies of the state. I'm asking you, please, do what's right for your people, our people."