V - Human Trials

"Move, move!" The guards shouted, their booming voices making my splitting headache worse. Two carried me by the arms, and the bullet wound prickled with hot, stinging pain. Exhaustion washed over me, and I could barely make any of my limbs respond, let alone fight them off, let them know it was me. Clarke wasn't in any better condition, dragged between two guards behind me.

A woman I recognized through my blurry vision as one of the heads of security called Byrne approached us. "Secure the perimeter. Teams of three. Hundred yard buffer. Open the gate!"

My feet dragged on the ground as we approached the large metal gate, and passed through it. As we passed Byrne she asked me how many of us there were, but I couldn't find the strength to speak. I couldn't do anything.

"Gotta get her to medical," said one of the guards holding onto me. "Move!"

Around us, I saw my people clamoring to get away, terror in their eyes. None of them recognized me. None of them knew that I was one of them. Where was Bellamy? Why wasn't he here?

Ahead of me, I finally saw a familiar face. Abby Griffin. She would recognize Clarke, I knew that. But would she recognize me?

"Wait," Abby cried, approaching us.

"Once the prisoners are secure," Byrne ordered.

My eyes kept scanning the panicked crowd, searching for any sign of my father, but he wasn't there. Maybe he had been on the exodus ship. Maybe he was dead. I couldn't find it in me to be distressed. I'd already accepted the reality where I'd lost him. Now I had to worry about myself.

"She's not a prisoner," Abby said, staring at Clarke. "She's my daughter."

"What about the other one?" Byrne challenged.

Abby looked at me for a moment, and thankfully she recognized me beneath the mud and blood staining my face. "She's Kane's daughter."

Abby pushed past Byrne and raced to Clarke, touching her face, providing her with comfort. They had a heartfelt reunion, and I heard Clarke cry. Her mother was alive, and she deserved the elation I'm sure she felt. But my heart sank. My dad wasn't anywhere around. Neither was Bellamy. There was no one to comfort me. I myself began to cry again, but it wasn't tears of joy or relief at finally being somewhere safe. They were painful, sorrowful tears. Agony exacerbated all across my body and it was too much. I couldn't bear it anymore. I screamed.

And then I passed out.

When I came to, everything was fuzzy. It took a minute of blinking before my vision finally came into focus. Dull pain ached in my shoulder, my chest, and my face, but I was alive. A sling kept my arm in place, but against my better judgement, I took it off and tested the movement of my shoulder. Didn't hurt too bad, but I knew I wasn't going to be shooting bow and arrow anytime soon.

I was lying on a rather comfortable bed, familiar from the Ark. Honestly, I was surprised so much had survived the fall to earth. Thankful, for sure. Now that we had real beds, in medical at least, I knew life was looking up.

Clarke wasn't here. I guessed my injuries were worse than hers and she'd woken sooner than I. Good to know we'd both survived the whole ordeal through the mountain. I hated to leave the others behind, but I would go back for them. We all would, and save them somehow. But right now, I needed something to eat.

Slowly, I sat up, and kicked my legs over the side of the bed. An involuntary groan escaped my lips. I stretched out my sore, tired limbs. It helped, but not as much as I would have liked. My legs protested when I stood, but I fought to keep my balance. If I was going to save my friends, I had to be able to walk.