III - Reapercussions

Warily, I looked around at all the Grounders cramped in cages as Clarke pounded and pulled on Anya's cage, trying to free her. As much as I wished I could save all of these people from their terrible fate, I knew we had to keep going.

"Clarke..." I warned, eyes flitting towards the door. Slowly, I started heading towards the opposite way we'd come. If that door opened, I wasn't going to be here. I couldn't control Clarke, but I hoped she wouldn't be either. Of course, I was completely out of her mind as she yanked a pipe from the wall and used it to beat against the lock on Anya's cage. With a booming clang, the lock broke away. My heart thudded in my chest as I stared at the door. Slowly, it began to open.

I didn't think. I acted only on instinct, and bolted. I figured Clarke would do something to take care of herself. Looking over my shoulder, I saw her clamber into the small cage with Anya. I breathed a sigh of relief. At least she was safe. For the most part. For me, however, there seemed to be no end in sight to the cages. Just in time, I reached the end of this line of cages, and crouched with my back against the wall. The Grounder in the cage I leaned against snarled at me, but I tried not to let them bother me. If I moved, if I made a sound, if I even so much as breathed, I could end up strung upside down.

I closed my eyes and stilled my breaths as Dr Tsing strolled into the chamber. I prayed she wouldn't walk to the end of the line and find me, and I prayed she wouldn't notice Clarke. It was an interminable minute as she walked down the cages, and I exhaled a sigh of relief when she finally left the room. I peeked around the corner and saw Clarke and Anya crawling out of their cage.

"Okay, we've gotta go," Clarke ordered, as she approached me. "Now."

I nodded and followed them out a door that said End Containment Area. It shut behind me, and I doubted we could turn back, even if for some reason we wanted to. It's just a small room, with no way forward. I didn't get long to think on it as alarms blared and the floor opened beneath us. A scream tore from my throat as I fell down a chute and landed in a rusted metal mining cart atop several dead bodies. I forced back vomit as I clambered over the pile of putrid bodies and leaped out of the cart.

Looking around, I couldn't help a smile. "We're out."

Clarke raced to the edge of the mine wall, where there was a pile of clothes pressed against the stone. She grabbed a bundle and tossed it at me. "Here, get dressed. We can't cover any ground like this."

I nodded and started changing without any objections. Anya, however, was a different story.

"I won't leave my people behind," she said, still hanging onto the cart, staring at all the bloody, broken bodies.

I threw her a pitied look as I pulled some pants on. I knew how she felt, even if I still resented her for attacking us at the dropship. There were bigger things to place my anger in now. First the Mountain Men, and then I could return to hating the Grounders if I had to.

"Anya, listen to me," Clarke said, approaching her. "Our people are still inside that place too. But they have guards, they have weapons. Once we get out of here, we can find help. We can come back-"

"There is no we," Anya interrupted, glaring at Clarke. I eyed her suspiciously as I pulled on a jacket.

Down the hall, chatter reverberated. I stepped forward, trying to see what the sound was. Torchlight danced across the shadowy cavern walls. I whispered, "Someone's coming."

Clarke went rigid. "Not just someone. Reapers."

Anya immediately turned to grab a weapon but I stopped her. "You can barely stand. Don't try to fight."