VI - Fog of War

It had been two days since we returned. The massacre at the Grounder village had been burned in my mind and every time I closed my eyes I saw it. All the pain, the blood, the death. None of them deserved that. They were innocent, unarmed people. I know I had killed before. We all had. But never like that. Never without being attacked.

I was so lost in the darkness of what I'd seen Finn do, I could barely keep my focus on Bellamy and Clarke. What we were talking about was more important. God, I had to learn to get over the events of war. I was a fighter made of anything but steel. I had to change that.

"Tell me again," Bellamy was saying, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"It's a labyrinth. We got to the dam through this tunnel," Clarke explained, gesturing to the path on a map she'd drawn. "It's all connected to the mine system."

"That's our way in," I added.

Bellamy nodded, but didn't seem confident in the idea. "Sure, if we can get past the Reapers and the Mountain Men."

I rolled my eyes. "Always looking on the down side."

He crossed his arms and turned his attention to Clarke, again prompting me to roll my eyes. In the last two days, a sort of rift had come between us, and I wasn't sure why. Maybe it really was just seeing Finn so changed. Or maybe he was offended because I'd shifted away from him that night by the fire. Whatever it was, it was dumb and I wished I could do something to fix it.

"I swear to God if your mom doesn't sanction a mission soon, I'm going by myself," Bellamy huffed.

"You won't be by yourself," I said, giving him a small smile. I wouldn't leave his side again, not until I was sure there was peace to be had.

Bellamy returned the smile, and gave me a single nod.

"I guess the inquisition's over," Clarke remarked, staring past us. I turned to find Finn stepping out of the Ark, looking miffed. He and Murphy had been interrogated for what seemed forever about the slaughter at the Grounder village.

"How's Finn doing anyway?" Bellamy asked.

Clarke sighed and stared down at her hands. "I haven't talked to him since we got back. I don't know what to say."

I couldn't blame her. I wasn't as close with Finn as she was, but he was still my friend and I felt the same. Nothing between any of us would be the same after witnessing that.

"He just kept shooting." Her voice was so defeated, and it broke my heart.

"We're at war, Clarke," Bellamy reassured her. "We've all done things."

True. But still. At least he was trying to help.

Finn reached the table, and tried to meet Clarke's eyes, but she was to be unable to look at him. After a few seconds of tense silence, Bellamy and I exchanged an awkward glance.

"Next round is on me," Bellamy said, grabbing our cups. "Come on, firecracker. I could use some help."

I didn't need to be told twice and I stood up, following Bellamy until we were out of Clarke and Finn's sight. Bellamy put down the cups and sighed heavily.

"They've got a lot of shit to go through," he said.

I snorted, trying not to sound bitter about the fact that we seemed to be having a similar problem. It didn't work. "Yeah, tell me about it."

"Alright, what's wrong," he asked, setting down the cups of moonshine. I was surprised all the adults here let us drink that at all, but maybe they figured as long as we were in camp nothing else mattered.