III - Reapercussions

Start from the beginning

She glared at me, and I gave her just as heated a look. Thankfully, Clarke stepped in to diffuse the situation. "I have a better idea. C'mon."

Clarke led us to the other mine cart a little ahead from the one we'd fallen into. First, she helped Anya up, then herself, and at the last second I hopped in. There weren't as many bodies in this one. Just a few, but it still reeked and it was still a terrible sight. No one deserved what these Mountain Men were doing to them. I closed my eyes and tried not to think about it, and just lay still, waiting for the reapers to pass.

My heart pounded as the approached the cart, and then it practically stopped as they tossed bodies on top of us. Blood dripped onto my face, my hair, my lips. I tried to keep my breathing steady, tried to control the impulse to wipe away the dead man's blood from my skin. I kept still, impossibly still and waited. Waiting was agony.

We will, we will, we will.

If I made it out of here, I would see Bellamy again. I calmed, and let the mantra keep me at peace as more bodies piled on top of us. Even as the Reapers began to push the cart down the rails, I still kept calm. When it finally stopped, I opened my eyes and my terrified gaze met Clarke's. None of us knew what was going to happen. We very well could have just signed our death warrants by getting into this cart.

The reapers pulled one of the bodies off of us. I went rigid, trying to make myself even more dead. I waited for a second as the Reapers headed away from the cart and then poked my head up. Oh God. They were eating the bodies. I turned away, covering my mouth.

"Okay, come on," Clarke said, hopping out of the cart. I followed closely behind, but Anya was a bit slower. She held one of the nearly dead in her lap, her eyes full of pain.

"Yu gonplei ste odon," she murmured, and then broke his neck. I bit my lip. Horrible. A better fate than being eaten alive, I supposed, but it was still terrible.

I waited for the two of them to pull on some clothes and then we headed away from the Reapers, trying to keep our footfalls as quiet as possible.

"Damn it!" Clarke huffed after a while of racing through the tunnels. "This place is a maze!"

Anya paused, and started coughing. "What are they doing to us?"

"They use your blood," I replied, keeping my eyes on either end of the tunnel for any sign of anyone following us. "We saw a soldier come in with some radiation burns. Hours later he was fine."

"It's like your blood is healing them somehow," Clarke added. "I've never seen anything like it."

Unease twisted my stomach around. A terrible thought gnawed at my brain. If the Grounders were being drained for their blood, did my friends face the same fate? Would I have if I had stayed? I let out a breath and shook away the nausea. We were coming back for my friends, so they won't have to face such a thing.

A beat of silence passed before Clarke picked up the pace again, leading us down the tunnels, but again, Anya had a different idea. It was beginning to annoy me, and I didn't know why Clarke didn't just cut her loose, let her do what she wanted. I didn't actively want her to die, but if her constant hesitation got me and Clarke dead, then I was going to have a problem.

"Hey, what are you doing?" Clarke called, as Anya turned away from us. "That's the way back to the Reapers!"

"You go your way, I'll go mine," Anya replied.

"Anya, we need to stick together," Clarke argued.

Anya snarled, "I told you there is no we!"

"I saved your life!"