Chapter 6 - Fighting Fear

Start from the beginning

“Town legend has it. If we don’t party at her place on this day, we all go to sleep – forever.” Audrey finished her eyes connecting with Hudson’s. Ford saw this exchange but turned away.

“That’s lame,” Ford commented.

“I didn’t say it was good. But a legend is a legend., Audrey looked away from Hudson and tugged at Ford’s sleeve. “Plus come on Ford, we have the drugs,” she nudged Hudson, “we have ourselves, so let’s go.”

“Whatever happened to bookworm Audrey?” Ford smirked as the first bell for class rang.

“She realized she has done enough extra credit to not do anymore assignments for the rest of the year and still get an A.” Audrey laughed as the group proceeded down the hall, “sad, right?”

***

It was the team sports section of Ford’s P.E.  Class and of course, as luck would have it, Ford was partnered with Levi for tennis. However, Ford had been waiting for a good ten minutes on the court holding an old racket which had seen much better days, while Levi and Carter flirted with Angela. Ford didn’t mind this though; he enjoyed the fresh spring air and mulling around. He wasn’t in any rush to play a spot with a group of jocks that didn’t really care for him.

Eventually the teacher chastised them and Carter with one of the other jocks went to the other side of the court. Levi walked around the net and gave a smile to acknowledge his tennis partner.

            “You ready to win this?” Levi patted Ford’s back in a brotherly manner. It felt forced and Ford knew the teacher was still watching

            “Don’t touch me.” Ford shook his head and Levi looked surprised at the aggression coming from the boy.

            “Yo, fruit, your serve.” Carter shouted from across the court.

            “Let’s play nice.” Ford shouted back. After the last few months Ford found himself a thicker skin. He wasn’t scared of the jocks anymore; in fact the tides had turned. He knew he could run faster, jump higher, punch harder, and even use his superhero powers if need be.
            “Ford, listen, I know you don’t really like me but,” Levi started noticing the anger in Ford’s voice.

            But that comment was far too little and way too late in Ford’s book, “That’s an understatement,” Ford said back then bounced the tennis ball. He watched the neon green ball hit the ground and then return to his hand.

            “But, I don’t see why we can’t try to be friends,” Levi had noticed Ford become more adept at sports. 
            “And what is making you think this? Because I am better than the alpha male Carter over there at sports?” Ford shook his head and scoffed.  Ford caught Levi looking at him more in P.E. classes, it was clear Levi wanted to recruit him or something for any of the schools athletic teams.  “Or because you finally got a soul from picking on me.” A swift hit and the tennis ball flew across the court hitting Carter in the thigh. Carter cursed and dropped his racket his hands flying to the spot the ball hit.

            “Ford I don’t mean,” Levi tried to bargain, but Ford didn’t want to hear it.

            “No Levi, not interested,” Ford shook his head and walked off the court. “I need to go to the restroom,” he lied.

***

             Ford had just about caught up on all the work in his classes, since his father had gotten better and to catch up on his missed History homework Mr. Gavin Lenoir recruited Ford to help him out after school for some special tasks. While, Ford long unrequited love for his history teacher had not yet been met; the extra time with the handsome man was much appreciated.