80 | Finally

Miren let her mind go there as she swam laps in the indoor pool, the water unable to submerge her thoughts. She thought of Chara and Penelope, whether Dr. Rutherford's reassurances matched the true extent of their injuries. Or worse, maybe their bodies would heal, but they would never be the same. Ever.

Would anyone ever be the same?

As she finish her final lap, her eyes found the glass ceiling, the scattered clouds in the sky were more or less indifferent. The days had blurred together like the setting sun, and it was hard to feel like this trip had any utility. Jeno was still barely talking to her. And Jemma wasn't answering her calls or texts. It was like their friendship hit an iceberg, and she was still processing what they could salvage. She took a deep breath as she approached the shallow end of the pool. As she stopped at the edge, she saw Jeno materialize into view. She wrinkled her nose.

He wasn't wearing his sling, just the sleeveless shirt and sweatpants that resembled his look from a couple days prior. With his good hand he held a towel.

"You know there are surveillance cameras in here," Jeno said, before handing the towel to Miren after she stepped out of the pool and dosed herself off in the showers adjacent to it. He fought the urge to linger on her form--she was only wearing a black bra and boyshorts. "I'll have to delete the footage."

"Or we can just admit that nothing matters anymore," she said, drying her short curls with the warm towel before putting on a long t-shirt, followed by a pair of shorts. She folded her arms, shrugging."We could tell your mom--finally come clean."

"I'm not against that idea," he said as they left the space and entered the backyard. "I just don't see how it would help anything."

"Since when were we in the business of helping anyone?" Miren said passively through pursed lips, a cool June breeze brushing past her as they approached the guest house. "Maybe the truth is better. Maybe it was always the better option." Her eyes landed on Jeno's as her hand molded on the doorknob. "Which is why you don't have to tell me that you want to break up. I know that's what you want. I understand and I'll leave in the morning."

"I don't want to break up with you, Miren," he said with a level of conviction that made her heartache. His eyes widened in confusion. "What would make you think that?"

"Injuries aside, I can tell something's been off with you since the accident," she said softly as she entered the space, closing the door behind them. "You need time to figure out how you feel, and I don't want you to be burdened by what you think I want or need. I want you to heal on your own terms." With that, she opened the door, but not without cupping his cheek. "We don't have to talk this to death. Just promise me you'll think about what I said."

"I don't have to think about anything," he said, taking hold of her hand, squeezing it. "You're right. I do feel burdened. But not by you--I don't deserve you. You took care of me even though I pushed you away. I need you," he said, inching closer. His eyes landed briefly on her lips, too tempting not to kiss, before he shook his head, his eyes starting to swell with tears. "But you don't need me. And I don't want you to be stuck with the detached, broken has-been who peaked in high school."

"Don't say that." Miren shook her head. "That's not true."

"You know it is. I know we need to stop this," he said, gritting his teeth. "But I can't."

"Then we don't have to," she said, cupping his neck, stroking his supple skin with her fingers. She kissed him softly on the lips, their foreheads pressing together. "Jeno, we don't have to stop."

"I tired of being selfish to you," he said in a hiss. "I'm just some guy who grew up in the right family. Your grit, your compassion will always guide you. Don't lose yourself because of me. I'm not worth it."

"Shut up," she said before kissing him deeper, before planting kisses on his cheeks, salty from his tears or hers, it was hard to tell. "I'm the morbid one," she said upon breaking from his lips. "You're alive. Chara and Penelope will be fine. We are lucky. We have each other. Things will get better."

"Okay," he said, closing his eyes, his grip hardening against her back. "Thank you, Miren. For everything."

"Just everything?" she humored, rubbing his arms now. She turned toward the bed, a devious smile spreading across her lips. "We could lie together, talk. You know, improve morale. Your mom has a scheduled Whipple that's supposed to go until eleven. I asked if I could observe, but she said I didn't have hospital clearance."

"You're definitely the child she actually wanted," Jeno humored, brushing a hand through her wet curls before kissing her forehead. "And only if you're civil."

Miren rolled her eyes before pressing her lips against his ear before leading him to bed. "Okay, wounded warrior."

He sat down at the side of the bed before Miren sat on his lap, kissing him deeply before he could question the act. Closing his eyes, he held onto her, his hands gliding from her back to her hips, securing her completely in his embrace. He breathed her in, her scent slightly like chlorine from the pool, but mostly like clarity. Perfection. He broke the kiss in favor of her supple neck, which he sucked with reckless abandon. Her eyes widened, and a deep moan escaped her as she bit her lip. She started to take off his shirt, careful to avoid his casted arm. She then admired his form--his strong arms, his lean and chiseled abs. An almost animalistic urgency washed over her and she pushed him on top of the comforter.

"What's gotten into you?" Jeno blinked at her teasingly. 

She ignored him, and shifted to kiss his shoulder, his neck before seductive yet humorous eyes trailed back to him as she took off her shirt. "You in about two minutes."

Jeno just laughed--genuinely laughed for the first time in a long time. It warmed her riled heart more than she cared to admit. And when he stroked her cheek and looked at her longingly she melted completely.

"Okay," he said against her lips. He smirked, shaking his head slightly, as if to admire the heartwarming absurdity of this day. Of life in general. "Okay." Then they were at it.

And it was the closest thing to magic on earth.