Act II | California Screaming

A little over a week had passed, offering only the illusion of progress. Because as Miren boarded the bus to the airport, she knew she was no closer to a conclusion. True, the National High School Orchestra Festival could offer some necessary clarity (as it was hard to think in the middle of the hellstorm that was private school), but what if it didn't? 

She frowned as she sat down on one of the empty seats. Everyone and their brother was excited to have time off from school. She sucked in a breath. That's right, maybe she could literally absorb the enthusiasm in the air. But then she remembered she was in a bus filled with fifty smelly boys. The frown returned.

"It took some balls to try to take the heat during the assembly." Miren looked up, saw that it was Axel who said this. She gritted her teeth when he plopped down next to her.

"But the answer everyone wants to know is why?" The rocker smirked. "I can keep a secret. Pinky swear."

"Shouldn't you be fat-shaming  Clif?" Miren mumbled, turning toward the window. Which was a mistake, because she could make out Jeno below. With Olive. The two appeared to be having a modest conversation. She tensed, but didn't know why. There was nothing alarming about the sight - until Olive pecked his cheek. Her face spoiled.

"Looks like someone's jealous..." Axel teased. Miren rolled her eyes.

"Fuck off."

"Anyway, I know you were just trying to protect Parker, which was cool. There's no way Edsel would expel you - Rinzen's star student," he went on. "We already lost Wallace." Miren wrinkled her nose.

Wallace. She hadn't spoken to him since before  Parker's expulsion, and he hadn't called her. Undoubtedly, he had to be pissed. Join the club.

"So wipe that frown off your face and try to enjoy the trip," Axel went on. "I have some modest plans in store for LA." He slapped her back (Ow.) before disappearing to the back with Cliff and the rest of their delinquent ensemble.

Most of the bus was filled, with the exception of the seat next to hers and a couple of others. Because five minutes was long enough for teenaged boys to get restless, the space filled with noise at a volume that could have rivaled a rock concert until Mr. Gales boarded, with Jeno trailing after him. The senior looked annoyed, which honestly wasn't saying much, before their eyes met. Miren's lip jerked as if to beckon him toward her, until she remembered that she hated him - or at least was trying to. 

His eyes softened as he delved further into the bus, taking the first open seat a couple rows ahead of her. Miren turned to the window again, her face hot with an emotion she couldn't place. Or maybe it was just her body's way of forcing her to try to feel something when she didn't.

"I've never seen Jeno go out of his way to help someone the way he did for you," Miren recalled Jemma saying at the sleepover from hell. "I mean, you're gorgeous, so I can see the attraction there, but a lot of  pretty girls are into him. I know you've had your share of toxic relationships in your life, but promise me that you won't hurt him."

"But that's why I don't want us to date," Miren had pushed. "What if I can't make him happy?"

"You're  overthinking the significance of a high school relationship. No one is saying you have to get married," Jemma had rolled her eyes. "I don't even think Klondike and I will last. But you'll never know if you don't try. You know what they say: you regret what you didn't do." The cheerleader smirked. "And I'm giving you permission to do my brother."

"She really has no filter," Miren mumbled to herself as the bus pulled up into the Bradley International Airport. She knew that Jemma must have had at least some type of ulterior motive (especially when Jemma told her she was pursuing the knuckle-heads that had attacked her), but for now she just had to believe that Jemma was on her side. Maybe.