12. World Champion

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, why?" Alvarrez replies, looking up from the board. A silly smile creeps up my brother's face and she notices it. "Oh hell no."

"Come on, please? Just one game. No time restrictions." Jimmy bargains.

Alvarrez shoots him a look. "Fine, just one game."

Her only condition was that they both say their moves out load for her to remember. Jimmy moves the pieces on the board for himself. The ending was still the same: a resounding victory for Alvarrez.

"Damn. You are on a whole different level," Jimmy lets out a defeated sigh. "Why did you even stop playing?"

"I didn't," Alvarrez says nonchalantly. "I just quit playing competitively."

"All the same."

When Jimmy catches a glimpse of the clock he abruptly stands up and his knee hits the table, making the chess pieces fall. "Shit I lost track of the time. I have to go, Juju."

"Huh? Why?" I ask following close behind him on his way to the front door. "I thought you were staying for dinner. I ordered sushi."

He shakes his head. "I'm sorry but I really have to go. I'll make it up to you next time."

I raise my eyebrow at him before kissing him on the cheek. "Okay, take care."

"Thanks, princess." Then he turns to Alvarrez who I didn't notice was beside me. "Nice game," he says and they shake hands. "I don't wanna play with you anymore."

Alvarrez smirks. "Scared to get your ass kicked?"

Then Jimmy was gone, which leaves Alvarrez and me alone. When I turn to face her, she was grinning from ear to ear. "I get to have the puppy."

Damn. I forgot about that.

I let out a deep sigh. "Yeah, you can take him home."

"Hey," she says, touching my arm lightly. "I promise I'll take care of him." Those big green eyes were hard to say no to.

"You better," I said before walking to the kitchen.

"Why does he call you Juju? What does that mean?" Alvarrez asks while I was preparing the food. She's sitting in the barstool where she sat earlier, my back facing her.

"My first name's Julia."

I could feel her gaze on me, watching every move I make. "That's cute. Can I call you Julia? Or Jules? Since it's awkward for me to call you Alex."

Normally, I wouldn't even consider the thought but a part of me was about to say yes. I was actually willing to take the first step in becoming friends with her. But the reasonable part got the better of me. "No." I put down our plates and sit in front of her.

"Okay then, can I call you babe?" She smirks. God, I hate that smirk.

I give her a look. "You wanna get out of my house?"

She ignores my threat and proceeds to ask another question. "Are you always alone in here?"

"I'm not alone," I tell her. "Perry!" I call out. Then a few seconds later, I hear pawsteps hitting the marble floor. Just the sound of those was enough to put a smile on my face. "I always have them with me." I reach out to pat Perry and he let out a soft purr.

I look at Alvarrez. Her elbow was propped up on the table, her face resting on her knuckles. She was smiling at me. Not the teasing smile that she makes when she makes a move on me nor the mischievous smile she makes when she's about to do something that will definitely get her in trouble. Her sea-green eyes were twinkling and her face looks so serene I didn't even think she was capable of making an expression like this.