"Then prove them wrong," I said softly.

Brooklyn blew out a puff of smoke and shook his head. "You know, you really are a better person than I think you give yourself credit for."

My heart swelled as I gave him a faint smile. "Well, so are you."

"Oh come on," he rolled his eyes. "Don't be like that. I mean it, you know."

"I know," I nodded. "So do I."

I looked down at the ocean rushing in below us, and when I looked back up at Brooklyn, his eyes shone just as blue and just as deep as the water. My chest tightened and my head spun, like I desperately needed oxygen, almost as if I was really drowning. Maybe I wasm right up on dry land.

"Hey, will you do me a favor?" he asked, pulling me back to the surface.

I gave him a smirk and a sideways glare. "That depends."

"Go on the Ferris wheel with me." He pointed across the parking lot at the Ferris wheel, and my heart dropped into my stomach.

"No way Brooklyn, I hate heights," I groaned. "Is this your way of revisiting your devious plan to scare me so I'll hold your hand?"

He extended his hand out to me and smiled. "Yes, now come on."

I glanced over his shoulder at the creaking metal monstrosity. I had to admit, it looked sort of pretty with all the lights decorating it, just starting to give off a glow in the oncoming night.

So I took his hand, and he didn't let go.

The line moved quickly, and before I could catch my breath we were loaded onto one of the cold metal seats, slowly swaying back and forth with our legs dangling over the side. I felt the weight of Brooklyn's arm gently draped over my shoulder, and I let myself unwind a little. He was warm and comfortable and everything a person should be.

My stomach churned at every creaking lurch, forwards and upwards higher into the sky. When we reached the top, it groaned to a stop again, the chair still gently swinging.

"Jeez," I sighed out. I kept my eyes down, intently focused on a chip in the red paint of the metal chair.

"See? It's fine," Brooklyn said. "It's totally fine. Look around. It's actually really nice up here."

After a few deep breaths, I glanced up and out at the world in front of us. Night had taken over, and all the lights from below were nothing more than little specks of color against the dark. A salty breeze blew in from the ocean, and even though I knew it was right below us, it sounded far, far away. It was quiet. A peaceful, honest quiet that I desperately needed. But after a few moments, I realized we were still perched at the top, our chair slowly swaying in the breeze.

"I told you nothing was going to happen."

I glanced over at Brooklyn, who grinned slyly at me.

"You went through all this trouble just to say I told you so?" I returned his grin and jabbed him in the side.

"Nat..." He sighed and rubbed his hand down the side of his face, his forehead starting to glisten with sweat in the humid spring air. "It's...it's not just about that. Not really, anyway."

He held my hand delicately, interlacing his fingers between mine. With the colorful lights of the fair dotting Brooklyn's face in blues and whites and reds, and all the noise from below so far away I could hear his heartbeat as it thumped against his chest, I think I finally realized how much I liked him. It was enough to make my head fuzzy and my heart soar, and even though I was afraid of being up so high, all I wanted to do was fly.

"Then what is it? Tell me," I whispered into the night.

I didn't realize how close we already were until he reached up and brushed a lock of hair away from my face. The accumulation of all the subtle touches and lingering glances of the past few weeks led into this moment, with the moon lighting up his eyes and our lips so close I could practically taste his vanilla chapstick. He pressed his thumb against my chin and tilted my head up to look at him. His lips grazed against mine, so soft and subtle that I second guessed if it even happened.

"It's just that...I think I really want to kiss you," he whispered, his breath hot against my cheek. "Can I?"

My heart careened into my throat, and I knew words would be useless. Instead, I leaned in and answered him the only way I could. I kissed him, and he kissed me back.

His hands moved up my neck, leaving little trails of heat everywhere he touched. He found the side of my face and gingerly pulled at my chin, begging me to let him in, and I felt myself completely unravel.

My first kiss was nothing like this. My first kiss was in a closet in the 8th grade, with Joey DelVecchio who played soccer and always smelled like grass. It was awkward and tasted like soda and sour cream and onion chips. But this? If I could go back in time I would give up every kiss I ever had with anyone just so this could be my first. He was the sweetest thing I ever tasted, and I knew I'd be craving him long afterwards.

Like a drug.

We finally pulled apart, and I gasped for air as my heart threatened to explode in my chest.

"Wow," he whispered softly.

"I hope that's a good wow," I whispered back, still trying to catch my breath.

"It's a good wow. A very good wow," he replied with a smile. "Nat, I..."

Before he could finish, the Ferris wheel lurched forward with a loud creak and began moving again. In order to fly, you have to be willing to fall, and damn had I fallen. But he was there to catch me. 

✗✗✗