Chapter Twenty-Four

"Mr. Matthews, I'm afraid you need to get back into your own room," the distant voice said.

"Damn it, he's my son!" a second voiced snarled.

"Jack, go back and I'll tell you when he wakes up," a third voiced joined in.

That's when Greg's eyes flew open and he tried to match the voices with faces.

"Oh, thank god!" Jack exclaimed, wheeling his wheelchair over to Greg and wrapping his arms around him. Brenda, being so happy, didn't even chastise her husband's words and hugged them both.

"What's...going on?" Greg mumbled weakly, peering over at a newspaper by his bedside that read Teen Hero Stops Killer.

"What happened to you?" Greg asked immediately after, noticing his father.

"Nothing, buddy. Just a little problem from work," Jack chuckled nervously and pulled a sheet over his lap. "I'll be okay. I'm not nearly as tough as you, karate killer."

This resulted in a glare from Brenda and Jack instantly went silent.

"Greg... Something happened. I don't know if you remember, but someone broke into the Louis' house and...they're dead, Greg," Brenda said softly.

Greg immediately remembered the three torn and broken bodies.

"The police think when you went in you scared him before he could kill Terra, but he still stabbed her," Brenda continued.

Greg remembered the three heavy blows followed by Terra leaning in to hit him with the fourth.

'The hammer was too heavy for her,' Greg thought as he remembered hooking her leg causing her to trip. He grabbed a knife out of one of the bodies and plunged it into her chest shortly before blacking out.

'She's dead...' Greg thought to himself, unsure of how to feel.

"You kicked his ass, son! Those karate classes worked after all!" Jack beamed before going silent at Brenda's glare.

"I'm sure Nick will be proud of you, sweetheart. He's outside along with the Robinsons. They'll be in soon, okay?" Brenda said soothingly.

"Okay, just...give me a few minutes," Greg muttered back weakly.

"It's not a problem, hunny. Oh! Before I forget, Terra left you this before...you know," Brenda said, pulling out an envelope.

"She's alive?!" Greg exclaimed.

"Yes, I thought you knew. She has been trying to sneak into your room for three weeks now. I just assumed you saw her at least once," Brenda blinked in confusion.

"Guess security doesn't want any hospital hankey pankey," Jack chuckled, making Brenda shove the wheelchair out into the hallway.

"Yes, dear, she's alive. The monster who attacked her, stabbed her, but he missed her heart by inches. Thanks to you he didn't get another chance!"

'Or because we were bleeding from our head, we missed and blacked out before WE had another chance!' Greg growled to himself.

"I need to see her!" Greg begged.

"Honey... She already left," Brenda informed him.

"Left?! Left where?!"

"She has no other family, so once she recovered, she got put into foster care until she's 18," Brenda said, placing the envelope on the bed. "It's only a year, Greg, not even that. I'm sure you two will find each other again."

Brenda gave her son a kiss on the cheek before leaving to deal with her husband.

Alone in the quiet, white hospital room, Greg ripped the envelope open and gripped the note tightly before tossing it to the floor.