Chapter Twenty-Two

"Greg, I'm so sorry," Terra said, snapping him out of his trance that he was in while telling Terra the events of that night. She had her arms around him, Greg still laying next to her in bed. He was surprised to realize his arms were loosely around her, too. Greg wondered if he had done that or if Terra had placed them there.

He couldn't quite remember.

"So, what happened to Holly's mother?" Terra asked, being careful not to upset Greg, but also wanting to know as much as she could about him.

"She broke into our house to take Holly, but decided my grandfather's antique pocket watch held more value. She got a good amount of money to buy more drugs instead of paying the crazy dealer she was married to."

It took Terra a minute to process this, but when she did, it looked like she was going to cry.

"She overdosed in her bathroom that night. That's why she didn't answer the door. They never found Holly's dad," Greg continued, somehow seeming even more emotionless than he usually was.

After that, nothing was said. Terra silently held Greg tighter, kissing his forehead.

"I'm so sorry, Greg," she whispered.

"It's doesn't matter," he replied, sitting up calmly to look over at the clock. He almost tumbled off the bed when he saw that they had been talking for nearly four hours.

• • •

"Terra, I have something I have to take care of at the church, but I should be done around noon!" Brenda announced through the bedroom door, reaching for the doorknob until Jack practically dragged her away.

"Now, dear! It's three in the damn morning! The kid isn't part bat like you, let her rest!" he laughed, pulling his wife out the front door. "Let's go out for breakfast!"

The two casually enjoyed themselves at the diner, Jack eating his eggs and bacon, and Brenda having a stack of pancakes. Neither of them said a word for the first few minutes.

"Mhgmh," Brenda finally broke the silence, talking around a mouthful of food.

"I love you, too," Jack replied effortlessly, sipping his orange juice.

"I can't remember the last time you took me out for breakfast," Brenda spoke clearly this time, raising a brow after ordering more pancakes.

"Well, today I feel romantic," Jack shrugged nonchalantly, handing a napkin to her.

"Let's hope the kids are safely romantic with those condoms you passed to our lovely child," Brenda pushed on, amusement all over her face.

Jack dropped his gaze, staring awfully hard at his bacon.

"Did you really think I wouldn't notice the jeep still in the driveway or Greg's bags downstairs? Jeez, Jack! Food only distracts me so much!" she exclaimed, feeling a little offended.

"I never could keep anything from you so I don't know what I expected," Jack chuckled nervously, scratching the back of his neck.

"What were you thinking!" Brenda huffed, trying to scold him, but also keep her voice in check. "She was just attacked, you dummy!"

"I...didn't really think about all that," he muttered, clearly ashamed of himself.

"Well, neither of them came bursting out of the room, so I guess they tuckered themselves out!" Brenda huffed, stabbing a pancake especially hard. "I just hope you gave them the good shit and not those thin pieces of crap you used on me."