The Sound of Drums

The Doctor, Jack, and Martha all fell onto the streets

"Oh, my head," Martha complained

"Time travel without a capsule. That's a killer," The Doctor stated

"Still, at least we made it. Earth, twenty-first century by the looks of it. Talk about lucky," Jack laughed

"That wasn't luck, that was me," the Doctor argued.

Jack knew the Doctor was frustrated, so was he.

Matrix was his sister and she was kidnapped by a lunatic timelord. But Jack still tried to lighten the mood

"The moral is if you're going to get stuck at the end of the universe, get stuck with an ex-Time Agent and his vortex manipulator," Jack claimed

"But this Master bloke, he's got the TARDIS. He could be anywhere in time and space," Martha said.

"No, he's here. Trust me," The Doctor knew the Master was here, but what he wanted right now was to know that his daughter was alive "Celestia, please, answer me," but it was like radio and all that met him was static.

"Then how are we going to find him?" Martha asked

"I'll know him, the moment I see him. Time Lords always do,"

"But hold on. If he could be anyone..." Martha finally realized something "We missed the election. But it can't be," they all turned and watched a television screen broadcasting the news.

"Mister Saxon has returned from the Palace and is greeting the crowd inside Saxon Headquarters," The news reporter said on the screen

"I said I knew that voice. When he spoke inside the TARDIS. I've heard that voice hundreds of times. I've seen him. We all have. That was the voice of Harold Saxon," Martha realized.

***

"Home," Martha stated as the trio made it to her house.

"What have you got? Computer, laptop, anything. Jack, who are you phoning?" The Doctor looked over at Jack "You can't tell anyone we're here,"

Jack quickly hung up "Just some friends of mine, but there's no reply,"

Martha had fetched her laptop when she returned "Here you go. Any good?"

"I can show you the Saxon websites. He's been around for ages," Jack informed

"That's so weird though. It's the day after the election. That's only four days after I met you,"

"We went flying all around the universe while he was here all the time," The Doctor explained

"You going to tell us who he is?"

"He's a Time Lord,"

"What about the rest of it? I mean, who'd call himself the Master?"

"That's all you need to know. Come on, show me, Harold Saxon,"

Jack was looking at the website "Former Minister of Defence. First came to prominence when he shot down the Racnoss on Christmas Eve. Nice work, by the way,"

"Oh, thanks,"

Martha looked at the screen as well "But he goes back years. He's famous. Everyone knows his story. Look. Cambridge University, Rugby blue. Won the Athletics thing. Wrote a novel, went into business, marriage, and adopted..." but Martha stopped as they all saw what was written. "Adopted Celestia Temple,"

"But he's got the TARDIS. Maybe the Master went back in time and has been living here for decades," Jack claimed

"No," The Doctor said harshly his mind still reeling from what he just read.