Human Nature

The central console of the TARDIS was sparking crazily as Martha, The Doctor, and Matrix started to pick themselves up off the floor. The Doctor dashed to Matrix, grabbing her hand and pulled her up, then pulled her eye to eye.

"Did they see you?" the Doctor asked urgently.

"I don't know!" Matrix replied

"Did they see you?" the Doctor asked Martha

"I don't know, I was too busy running!" Martha replied

"Martha, it's important...Did they see your face?"

"No, they couldn't have!"

The Doctor ran round the console and started playing with the controls. "Off we go!"

Matrix came to stand next to him as he watched the time rotor intently. As a warning beep cut in, symbols appeared on the console screen. Matrix grabbed the console screen and read it "They're following us,"

"How can they do that, you've got a time machine," Martha said.

"Stolen technology, they've got a Time Agent's vortex manipulator." The Doctor explained "They can follow us wherever we go, right across the universe..." he paused "they're never going to stop." the Doctor ran a hand through his hair nervously and stared, then an idea came to him. "Unless..." his eyes went to Matrix "we'll have to do it..." Matrix whimpered at the notion. The Doctor stared into Martha's eyes "Martha, you trust us don't you?"

"Of course I do,"

"Cause it all depends on you," he dove below the console to retrieve something. Martha watched on in confusion.

"What does, what am I supposed to do?"

The Doctor reappeared holding two ornate pocket watches aloft. "Take these watches, 'cause our lives depend on it. The watches, Martha, the watches are..."

***

John Smith was lying in a bed sporting a pair of blue striped pajamas. His eyes flicked open suddenly. He blinked in confusion a few times, he was in an ornate Victorian room, wood paneling and framed paintings. After a couple of seconds, he pushed himself to sit up, feet on the floor. As he rubbed his eyes, he heard a knock. Shortly after, there was the sound of a door opening. "Come in,"

Martha entered, wearing a Victorian maid's uniform and carrying a tray of breakfast. As she saw Mr. Smith sitting on his bed, her eyes widened and she turned back.

"Pardon me, Mr. Smith, you're not dressed yet. I can come back later," Martha turned to go as the Doctor stood, pulling and tying a dressing gown around himself.

"No, it's alright, it's alright. Put it down," John told her

Martha walked to a table in the middle of the room and set the tray down, keeping her eyes lowered. John Smith watched her thoughtfully.

"I was, um..." Mr. Smith paused "Sorry, sorry. Sometimes I have these extraordinary dreams," John said thoughtfully.

Martha crossed to the window and pulled the curtains open. "What about, sir?"

"I dream I'm this..." John Smith searched for the right term "Adventurer. This...daredevil, a madman. 'The Doctor', I'm called. And last night I dreamt that you were there, as my...companion,"

"A teacher and a housemaid, sir? That's impossible,"

"Ah no, a man from another world, though..."

"Well, it can't be true because there's no such thing,"

Mr. Smith had moved to the fireplace and looked at the mantle-where the watches were sitting. "These things..." he picked up one of the watches. "The watches..."