Chapter 4

It didn't take long to reach our chambers. After my uncle made sure I wouldn't walk anywhere without my personal escort, he finally left the red keep on his way with auntie Ellaria to a brothel.

I was too excited to just rest in my chambers so I jumped at the opportunity and sneaked out. A small sight of guilty conscience came over me. I had promised my family to stay out of trouble, to never walk alone and what was I doing now? The opposite of this promise. I knew the men of the escort would go outside every hour to take a small walk and if I just passed a moment I could escape. And what could happen? I would just go for a walk, wearing my dagger close to me and due to changing my clothes nobody would notice at the first sight that I was a princess. I opened the door carefully and turned my head from right to left. Good. Nobody was here. I stepped out of the chamber and walked straight out of the red keep, on my way to explore the city.

If anyone ever asked me to describe Kings Landing in one word, it would probably be "tight". Tight streets, filled with a lot of people, what made it nearly impossible to never lose sight of each other. When we were escorted to the Red Keep we had followed a simple route, always walking straight and yet all these hidden alleys had catched my eyes. I was curious to find out where they would lead to, what kind of hidden places existed in Kings Landing. Although I remembered the promise I gave my father, I was determined to inquire this city. Who knew if I would ever have that chance again? So I broke the promise and started to walk and explore.

I didn't know how much time had passed by when I started to feel a little bit thirsty. Quickly I entered the next tavern on my way.

It was a big, not much enlighted, tavern, filled with a lot of rustic furniture. It was obvious that this wasn't a tavern for high born people. I liked it. In the left corner was a round table where some people played cards. In the right corner three easy enrobed woman were sitting on the laps of some men. I turned my head away.

"What ya wanna drink?" A voice asked harshly and ripped me out of my thoughts.

"eh...some beer" I ordered quickly, taking a seat straightly at the bar. The host put the beer quietly in front of me and I started to drink gratefully. After satisfying my thirst I looked another time around, only to recognize that in the meantime someone took a seat not far away from me. I stole a glance at him. He was a tall man, golden hair, perhaps mid thirty. His eyes were green and a scar garnished his face. Suddenly the man returned my look, a little smirk upon his face, as if he knew I that I had been starring at him before. I averted my eyes quickly, realising my cheeks became red. To my surprise the man came over to me.

"It is said that it is impolite to let a woman drink alone in a tavern like this. Some men may start to have some bawdily thoughts and forget their good behavior." the man spoke softly, a small concern appearing on his face.

"Are you one of those man?" I asked boldly.

"Would I warn you if I were one of them?" he chuckled.

"Probably not."
I gave him a little smile. As much as I hated to admit it - he made me feel a little bit safer, especially when I couldn't ignore the gazes of some men around me all the time.

"Tell me, what's your name?"

I hesitated. I didn't want to tell him who I was. "Just a woman in a Tavern." I answered short. "And who are you?"

"I'm just a man in a Tavern. I guess it is your first time here?"

I gave him a wary look. "Perhaps. Why do you think that?"

"Because you ordered beer. It tastes like horse piss." He laughed and I gave him a little smirk back. He was definitely right.

"Well, you got me. According to your experiences I assume you live here?"

"I do. But not in flee bottom."

"So what are you doing here?"

"Sometimes I like to escape."

The man seemed a little bit upset. I was wondering why he wanted to escape. Was he like me? Highborn, but trying to escape this burden by time to time?

I opened my mouth, curious to find out who he was, when I was suddenly distracted by some noise. Someone had just came inside. Someone who looked very furious. I had a lump in my throat. It was one of my uncle's men.

"Damn it", I cursed, turning my look away. To my displeasure my new acquaintance noticed my strange behavior.

"Seems like you need to disappear quickly?" he asked quietly and I nodded.

"Follow me through the back-door." He mumbled and I obeyed his orders immediately.

We sneaked away quickly, escaping the men. As soon as we left the tavern we started to walk faster, not fast enough to look guilty, but also not slow enough to get caught. After a while the golden haired man stopped.

"Well...it looked like they were after you. So who are you?"

I shrugged.

"I know you just saved me but as I said, I am just a woman in a tavern. But who are you?"

He smirked again.

"As long as you don't tell me your name, I won't tell you mine either."

I replied his smile. We stood a moment in silence.

"I should go. They won't stop searching me." I said and he nodded.

"Kings Landing may be a big city with a lot of Taverns but who knows? Maybe we will see us again, my Lady."

I froze immediately.

"Why did you call me my Lady?"

"You didn't tell me who you are. You could be anything. A servant, a Lady, even a princess. The same as I could be anything." And with these words he took my hand, gave me a hand-kiss and turned around, disappearing in the crowd.

Hello dearies,

I am back! I hope you had a lovely day and I'm so sorry for letting you waiting. It was very stressful lately.

I would be delighted to read any comments of you, so I can improve my writing skills :)

Goodbye and see you at the next chapter!