Harkness & Carter

Start from the beginning

"So is twenty-first," She retorted. "You mean the world to her, Lily." Jackie's voice turned serious. "The least you can do is let her make you a cake."

"Yeah, I guess so." Lily sighed hating that her mom was always right.

"Great!" Jackie cheered. "Well, I'll let you go. See you at home and then we'll celebrate just the three of us. Just like old times."

"Sounds great." Lily grinned. "I love you Mum."

"I love you too sweetheart. Buh-bye."

"Bye."

When Lily hung up her phone she spotted someone that caught her eye. A few feet away a man was sitting on a bench holding a map and looking very confused. Seeing that he may need help, Lily placed her phone back in her bag and made her way over to him.

"Hi." Lily greeted him with her arms crossed. "You look a bit lost. Need some help?"

The man looked up and gave Lily a charming grin. "Is it that obvious?" He chuckled.

Lily could help but think the man was quite attractive. With blue eyes and dimples, it's like he just walked out of a model magazine. She spotted his accent right away.

"Only a bit." She gave him a kind smile and took a step closer. "You're American, right? I can tell by the accent."

"Yes. I am. Good ear." He complimented with a smile. "I was just having trouble finding Buckingham Palace. I'm taking a tour tomorrow and I would hate to get lost and miss it."

"You mean that palace right there." Lily smirked nodding her head to the left. The man looked at the direction she was gesturing to and noticed a large palace in the distance.

"Oh!" He said in shock. "How could I miss that?"

"Maybe you're not very observation?" Lily shrugged holding in a giggle

"Perhaps or," The man stood up from the bench and started folding the map. Lily found themselves a few inches apart from each other. "I was just finding a way to get your attention." He winked.

"And how would you guess that looking lost at a map would grab it?" Lily titled her head with a soft smile.

"You just seem like that kind of person who would help someone in need?" The man smirked down at her clearly not bothered by how close they were

"I guess you got lucky then." Lily took a step back feeling self-conscious. 

"That I did." He smirked showing off a pair of adorable dimples. "I'm Jack by the way. Jack Harkness." He held out his hand.

"Lillian Carter." Lily took his hand and gently shook it. "But everyone just calls me Lily."

"Okay just Lily." He said making Lily laugh. "How about I thank you with a cup of coffee. My treat?" Jack asked taking back his hand.

"I don't know." She frowned and started fiddling with her fingers. "I kinda need to get back home. My mum and little sister are planning a small get together for my birthday. Just use three."

"It's your birthday?!" Jack exclaimed.

"Yeah." Lily gave a shy smile. "My twenty first actually."