After a short minute of watching him fiddle with useless items, she left him to his desires. As long as he didn't knock anything over, his nonchalant behavior in the classroom would go unnoticed. Instead, she took it upon herself to examine the students that she shared this period with. Every second or so, another person would walk into the room. They were greeted the same way she was; a welcoming smile and directions. There were a handful of people she went to elementary school with, but she wouldn't say they were properly associated with her. Far from it, in fact. Her friend circle had always been small, Fale was the only person she could unhesitatingly call a true friend. All she knew of everyone else were the names they presented themselves with and the gossip she didn't like to indulge in. Or, in some other cases, the way they treated her showed their character. It was clear that most of them already had a solid opinion about her, whether it was from false rumors or past experiences, it didn't matter. Their own form of her had molded in their brain some time ago. Everything she did from there on twisted to fit that particular image. Even with her kind attitude, she will always play as the selfish—or shy, or sweet, perhaps even Fale's shadow, or whatever that particular person thought of her—one in someone else's morphed story. It was a sick thing, but that was society. Even then, that didn't stop Mae from caring about how they looked at her. How they thought about her.

Minutes passed, and inevitably, the seats were being filled one by one. She watched them and only waved when they acknowledged her presence. Most pairs sat together, and the few that came in alone remained in voluntary solitary. A pair of girls took the two seats in front of her. They often leaned over the aisle to whisper something about their vacation. Mae wondered if they knew she could hear them. Clearly, for that matter.

"Didja hear? Some girl is hosting a Welcome Back to Hell party somewhere in Maple. Everyone at school is welcomed, it's going to be so nuts!" One of them babbled.

"When is it?" The other asked, to which Mae concluded sounded much more skeptical.

"From what I have been told, it's happening sometime before homecoming. We gotta go, dude, I hear her parties are absolutely epic."

"Alright sure, I'm in. It sounds fun."

Mae's eyes darted between the two females as they conversed between themselves—a conversation she had no part in. Even with Ethan's advice, such an intense party didn't pique her interest. The comfort of her home was much more welcoming.

"All these humans and you're not going to talk to a single one of them?" Vladimir scolded her from across the room. The abruptness of it caused Mae to snap her head up and look over. The fact that only she could hear him never got old—especially now that she was in a classroom full of people.

The demon stood the lab table. Like usual, his arms were crossed. His tail looped around his leg, which scrunched up his pants that were covered in holes. She quickly shook her head. She didn't understand why he cared. Of all things, she didn't expect him to be concerned about her social life. Or, to be more precise, her lack of social life.

He inhaled a breath and shook his head. From where she sat, Mae could easily tell he was muttering something incredulous under his breath. The probability of something scornful—and of foul language—was ridiculously high.

Before Vladimir could interrogate her further, the bell rang and officially started the school day. Conversations immediately faded out. She took one glance at the teacher as if on cue, stood from her seat. By the time Mae looked back at Vladimir, he was present on the empty desk next to her. His talons curled around the edge of the table like an eagle.

"Hello everyone and welcome to your first day of high school," The teacher announced, her voice loud and clear. A calm ring hung onto it, which made it easier for Mae to listen. A bright smile shaped the curve of her lips. "My name is Mrs. Hawkings. Welcome to my class. I am going to call role and we can get started. I am sorry in advance if I completely butcher your name. Correct me please so I can learn them—I am horrible with names. But, I'll get them eventually," She said and retreated over to her desk. Her fragile body looked small compared to the wide computer chair she sat in.

"She looks like a student herself. A tiny thing, isn't she?" Vladimir said with a snicker.

Mae rolled her eyes and listened to her sound off a series of names. Her eyes followed the bland responses that were returned during the whole process. There were only a few students that were absent, which made little sense to her at all. Who could be so defiant in nature to miss out on the first day of school?

"Mae Johnson," Mrs. Hawkings said sweetly with a glance over from her computer. Her eyes swept across the series of students.

"Here."

The incessant pattern went on for another few minutes. Mae sat patiently in her seat, but Vladimir strolled aimlessly across the empty desk next to her. She would watch him approach the edge of the table, dip his foot over the end and serve around on his heels to face the opposite direction. The process was repeated. He seemed quite content with himself.

The door creaked open abruptly and allowed the sunlight from outside to pour into the room. Mrs. Hawkings fell silent, her curious gaze turned to their guest. Mae raised her eyes from the demon, who had also snapped from his bubble of repetitive boredom.

"Sorry I'm late, I had trouble finding the room," the boy apologized as he stepped inside. He didn't seem to enjoy the fact that everyone's eyes were on him. However, despite his discomfort, Mae—and her peers alike—didn't look away. He was of tall stature and tanned skin. A navy hoodie hugged his slim frame nicely. He paired it with tan knee-length shorts and high socks. He looked like he had just stepped out of a summer movie—not that she would admit it, but he was hot. She swore he could be a model or something.

"It is the first day; I suppose I'll let it slide. I hope this doesn't become a habit," Mrs. Hawkings teased, "what's your name, dear?"

"Jonas," he said with a note of relief.

She repeated the name a few times under her breath. "Take a seat wherever you like."

Jonas's eyes searched the room, for what Mae assumed to be friends. Then, after a moment of silence, he walked over to the empty seat next to Mae. Vladimir, after realizing the boy's approach, growled and took off like a fly. Quietly, and completely oblivious to the demon, Jonas sat his stuff down on the ground next to the chair. As his body slumped in the plastic seat, the pieces of his messy brown hair fell to frame his russet eyes. Relief was quick to cloud his features.

He's cute. She thought girlishly, her eyes subtly trailed over Jonas. She thought his downturned nose was adorable. His lips looked soft and that alone gave her all the more reason to keep staring. Luckily, he didn't notice her ogle over him like some anime school girl. However, in the midst of things, someone else did. Someone else always did.

"Don't stare now, sweet cheeks," Vladimir knocked on her head with his knuckle. "I'm afraid you'll start drooling any second here. And that would surely be attractive."

Right. She pressed her lips together and immediately dropped her gaze. For once, Mae was thankful that Vladimir made a comment on nearly everything.