Inside, the room was much more organized than Fale's could ever be. A medium fish tank bubbled in the corner of the room. Exotic, colorful fish swam about the encasement to the content of their minds. Maps that charted the United States, the moon, and the world as a whole were tacked above a work desk. Hardcover college books neatly stacked on shelves. Two dully colored bean bags sat on the rug; her friend was currently occupying one of them. Her frail form lay across the seat in a carefree, unladylike manner. Ethan, Fale's older brother, sat crisscross on his small bed that was covered with numerous pillows. Like his sister, the boy's dark hair draped over his emerald eyes. He could easily be considered Mae's older brother, for they practically grew up side by side. They were close; however, it could never go against the ties that held her and Fale together.

"Hey," Ethan greeted, his deep voice flowed off his tongue like mulberry silk. "We were just talking about you."

Mae stepped into the room and quietly closed the door behind her. "I hope it's good," she replied, taking it upon herself to plop into the yellowish beanbag. It collapsed vaguely under her weight.

"Of course it is," said the male as he laid back into his throne of cushions.

"We were talking about high school is all," Fale chipped in.

"How you both are fresh meat now." He interrupted, "From the tippy top of the world to the very bottom of the food chain," He smirked as he deliberately pulled out the words 'top' and 'bottom'.

"Oh, right. That's a thing now," Mae groaned. She rolled her head on her shoulders. They were only two days into their summer vacation, she wished to enjoy the months ahead while it lasted. Not stain it with the forthcoming era. She didn't want to even think about getting devoured by the fangs of upperclassmen.

"It not the apocalypse, Mae," Ethan smiled at her fantod. "It's really not bad. You'll get used to it in no time. The used condoms left in the bathroom, bags of weed hidden in the bushes, the way the cafeteria food smells, the—"

"What?" Fale bleated. Her eyebrows were furrowed. He gave a chortle.

"You heard me. I ain't a liar."

"You are too," Fale asserted strongly, to which Ethan shook his head and uttered a tch.

"That's actually kinda gross," Mae muttered and kneaded her hands anxiously.

He shrugged nonchalantly. "It's like that sometimes. But as I said, you get used to it."

"You were nervous when you were starting high school too," she pointed out, "didn't Mom say you had nightmares?"

"I did not!"

"That's not what I was told," She leered.

Ethan rolled his eyes obstinately. With eyebrows furrowed, he turned his gaze to Mae. "Don't listen to her, she ain't got a clue what she's spouting on 'bout."

She didn't believe him, but she wasn't about to throw gasoline into the fire. Ethan didn't exactly fit the typical tough guy act. Nightmares oddly fit his character—not that she would openly say that around him. "Then what was it like for you?"

"I wouldn't say it's the end of the world like you're making it out to be," He stated, running his fingers through his hair. "It was still the same. It's school, there's only so much that can be made differently. But, some of my best memories are in high school. If you want good memories, don't continue being crabs in your little shells like you have been doing."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Fale arched an eyebrow.

He raised his hands, in a joking manner, like a soldier that just accepted defeat. "Nothing bad, I swear. Just... Live a little, ya know? Don't be that one Debbie downer that doesn't do "fun". Nobody wants to hang out with that guy. You don't have time to be shy anymore. It doesn't hurt to go to rallies, games, dances—yes, Fale that means you will have to wear a dress— or even bangin' parties. The parties are always fun to go too."