Chapter Eighteen: Heaven Knows How Much I Need It

Start from the beginning

"Sorry, I'm late," Dominic said as he rushed into the classroom. "May I get the worksheet?"

I stiffened at the sight of him.

"Speak of the devil," Jordan said. "And how is he not suspicious? He said 'may' instead of 'can'."

"Saying 'may' is grammatically correct," Declan said.

We both looked at him.

"Why do you guys keep doing that? Of course, I know this. Everyone knows this."

"I'll be sure to use 'can' next time then, Jordan," Dominic said as he sat down at his seat next to Jordan.

"Thanks for the consideration," Jordan said with a smile.

"Naomi, it's been so long since I've last seen you," Dominic said dramatically. "I've written so many letters yet you've never responded. I have no idea how I survived such a life."

"We saw each other a few minutes ago," I told him.

"But did you miss me since then?" He asked, almost hopefully. "Raymond was being a clingy girlfriend and wanted me to walk him to class."

I didn't get it. How could he be acting like as if he never saw what happened? Did he actually see it? Was I just imagining it?

As if it was an attempt to change the topic, Jordan said, "I want to...  apologize for what happened the other day. I was having a bad day and I took it on you."

"No worries," Dominic said. "We all have bad days and are entitled to work them out in our own way. I won't take it personally."

Jordan nodded, looking like he wanted to leave the conversation, maybe even the class, as soon as possible. "Thanks."

"For this in-class assignment today, you're allowed to work with the person sitting next to you," the teacher said before taking a seat. "Two minds are better than one. Then there's less of chance for you to bother me with questions."

"Hey, since we're sitting next to each other today, I guess we're partners," Dominic said.

"Wait, what?"

"Sorry that Jordan had to take me away Naomi," he said with a grin. "I know you're fuming in jealousy right now."

"I think that's your own," Declan told him cooly. "Since she has me for her partner."

"Well let's just see who finished this worksheet first. C'mon Jordan."

"I uh-" Jordan turned to me for help.

But I just winked at him and went over the first question with Declan.

-

"You guys are awful," Jordan complained as we walked into our base.

"What did he do this time?" Bennett asked without missing a beat.

"What did I do?" Jordan asked in disbelief. "Nothing. I've been my usual well-behaved self."

"That's not what your mom said last night," Declan said.

Jordan stopped short. "Wait, what?"

"Your mom called me and Declan since you were out so late painting," I said. "It led to the dam breaking of her complaints of you."

"But for once he's actually right," Declan told Bennett. "We ditched him and left him with Dominic in class."

"You reap what you sow. That was kind of the best punishment we would have given him."